Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabziechen im Silber for identification

Article about: What Ho Chaps, This PKA came to me as part of a grouping and I was hoping that someone could assist me in determining the maker. Many Thanks in advance Robin

Default Panzerkampfabziechen im Silber for identification

What Ho Chaps,

This PKA came to me as part of a grouping and I was hoping that someone could assist me in determining the maker. To my eyes it looks like type 5.9.1 Unknown Maker II 'so called Rocky' but it would be great if someone else could give their opinion.

Many Thanks in advance

Robin

Last edited by robin morley; 02-01-2016 at 05:52 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabziechen im Silber for identification
    P
    Many

Hi Robin,

I see where your coming from regarding this badge being the "Rocky" type due to the similar hardware as shown in the PAB book. But the reverse is not flat, and the shoulders of the wings aren't sharply contoured as per the "Rocky" badge when viewed from the reverse and are clearly more rounded and curved inwards on the tips. The neck of the eagle also appears longer than the stubby fat neck of the "Rocky" badge.

I think it's more likely the "Unknown Maker IV" or type 5.11.1 in Phil's book that actually seems to be a 2nd die variant of the "Scooped Out Flat Back" or 5.10.1 type, but without the flaws on the wreath binder and oakleaves next to it on the left hand side. Little is known about this particular type, although it's obviously very closely related to the design type 5, and I think the hardware is just a variant that was shared amongst more than one maker, take Hobacher examples bearing the same set up.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned, Thanks for the reply, I am also now pretty sure that the badge is not a 'Rocky' The saw cuts to the bottom feathering of the wings and between the cupola and wreath are not present. Im not yet 100% convinced yet of it being a 5.11.1 although it is a lot nearer that than a Rocky.When the light is better I will have a closer look there at first viewing appear to be a few differences namely with the rocks design dut as I say that might just be the poor light here.