Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Something you don't see every day....

Article about: Hi Folks, Here are a very rare matching pair of bronze and silver Panzerkampf Abzeichen's by Friedrich Orth. These rate as being one of the most desirable makers of Panzerkampf Abzeichen's d

Default Something you don't see every day....

Hi Folks,

Here are a very rare matching pair of bronze and silver Panzerkampf Abzeichen's by Friedrich Orth. These rate as being one of the most desirable makers of Panzerkampf Abzeichen's due to their very limited production, to dedicated collectors of the award.

I picked up the silver one earlier last year, it was from the estate of one Private R.J. Fisher of the Royal Artillery who was in the 8th army at Medjes el Bab, Tunisia, in early 1943 and fought up through Sicily and Italy, he picked the badge up along with some SS documents and an SS diary during this time.

The bronze one was kindly sold to me by my good friend Eric Zentner later on in the year after I pestered him something unmerciful! Thanks Ez!!

The badges themselves are fairly unremarkable design type 5 in solid zinc, the only version that Orth were known to make. The finish is generally very poor, so these two are rather nice in that they retain much of the original finish applied to them. The condition has little bearing on the value or desirability of the individual badge in question as they are so rare.

Both badges have the strange circular stamp on the reverse of the eagles head who's significance is as yet unknown. The hinge is the classic small block type on a raised pedestal that's typical for Orth and was used on their earliest zinc Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's and GAB's. The catch is a standard '?' shaped hook in tombak that is soldered directly onto the reverse.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Something you don't see every day....   Something you don't see every day....  

Something you don't see every day....   Something you don't see every day....  

Something you don't see every day....   Something you don't see every day....  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Something you don't see every day....
    P
    Many

Default Re: Something you don't see every day....

Nice looking couple big ned.

?

just beautiful...........
    regards

Very nice and really rare couple Ned.The circular stamp is interesting.Sometimes also to find on badges of S&L.Congrats to this nice couple.

KR
    Joe

Very nice twins, Ned!

Nice one Ned!....

like them a lot Ned,

?

Beautiful pieces

Nifty! But one you have one extra? ;-)

Thanks for the kind words guys! I am now on the hunt for an early 1.1.1. Juncker Panzerkampf Abzeichen in neusilber (nickel silver) if any of you happen to have one lying around surplus to requirements....

P.M. me......Yah?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast