Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What do you think about this Panzerkampfabzeichen 100 badge?...

Article about: Hi all. I'm not a badge collector, but have been asked to review this particular badge for a client. I've reviewed photos and reference material around the 100 engagements version, and some

?

Default What do you think about this Panzerkampfabzeichen 100 badge?...

Hi all. I'm not a badge collector, but have been asked to review this particular badge for a client. I've reviewed photos and reference material around the 100 engagements version, and some parts of this one look good (the curves, recesses, and grommet positions on the reverse), while other parts are questionable. The "100" plaque at the bottom appears to have some impact damage, so it's difficult to compare that to other examples.

Let me know what you guys think. Any luck with this one?

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect WWII German Military Collectibles.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you think about this Panzerkampfabzeichen 100 badge?...
    P
    Many

Hi dzyner,

Not on your Nellie i'm afraid old chap....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

piw
    ?

A poor attempt.

?

These badges are as rare as the rocking horse proverbial.
    The number of recipients is very small. Not sure exactly how many off the top of my head, maybe someone else can add some facts and figures but it makes these badges very rare, very desirable and consequently very expensive. All of the numbered combat badges are faked to greater or lesser degrees and while this one might fool someone at a fair with nothing to reference against, it's shortcomings are clear when compared to a genuine piece.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I know of at least 16 of these late semi hollow Juncker grade IV badges (75/100) that have passed muster, and there must be more out there still. Just to add a bit of info regarding the badge above being a copy, the obvious points are as some have already been mooted, the elongated number box and the poorly executed '100' within, and the eagles head is completely wrong.

Other points are the poorly defined road wheels and return wheels, the use of tombak rivets when they should be bright aluminium and the rear of the number box being rivetted when it should be completely blank, the number block being soldered in on originals. Then there's the hinge being incorrect, the lack of cold shuts in the badge that were very common and the general soft appearance when compared to original examples, the list goes on and on.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sorry, it's as the guys say...bad. Is it me? Or do there seem to be a few more "high end" fake award attempts. Sign of the times, maybe? Stewy

?

Thanks guys, and thanks especially to Ned for the clear and detailed explanation of the issues this one has. Too the untrained eye this one (IMO) is a dangerous one to have in circulation. To me it was the eagle's head that stood out as the most obvious flaw, and I'm a pretty detailed person -- can typically recognize little details. Another thing that caught my eye was where the left edge of the tank section meets the wreath, it's incorrect when compared to other authentic examples. Nonetheless, I had to post it here lest I pass up a good variant. It's happened before and I'm still kicking myself