Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era

Article about: The Soviet controlled communist government of the People’s Republic of Poland re-instituted the Cross of Valour in 1944. Just as with the original IIRP issues and then with the Polish Armed

Default Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era

The Soviet controlled communist government of the People’s Republic of Poland re-instituted the Cross of Valour in 1944. Just as with the original IIRP issues and then with the Polish Armed Forces in the West, many different variations of this decoration were made. There is an increasing interest in communist era decorations, and in particular the Cross of Valour, so it's high time to devote a thread to this decoration.

To kick start the thread we have our first question moved from the PSZnZ forum:

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Hey guys,
    Is it me or are post-war cross`s being faked/made into a fantasies?

Look at this one on Allegro, Looks to be casted (I think) or poorly made.I never seen one being numbered before.
    Krzy? Walecznych. (1033811925) - Aukcje internetowe Allegro

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era   Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Default Re: Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era

Hello
    I have never saw communist cros with number. Only pre WWII crosses should have it.
    There was also communist version with 1943 date. Those crosses were granted for battle of Lenino.
    There is great book about Cross of Valour. "Krzyż Walecznych" Henryk Krogulec. I am sure that many of you saw this position

Hello Gentlemen

Here are two crosses. One dated 1943 which seems to agree with Orkan's comments above and another dated 1939 - any thoughts? I can't find a reference to a 1939 dated one

Many thanks

James
    Attached Images Attached Images Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era 

Hi James,

The crosses you’ve pictured are copies. Orkan is correct that the Soviets did issue a Cross of Valour bearing the 1943 date. These were made in Moscow in two versions, interestingly both with a crowned eagle (the crown to be removed in the subsequent 1944 dated version). Less than 1000 were made. A genuine example is pictured below.

I see that you’ve also posted these same crosses in the PSZ section, so I will comment further there on their free forces counterparts.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era   Cross of Valour - LWP Communist Era  

Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 03-10-2012 at 04:50 AM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

What sort of prices would someone being looking to pay for a '44 Krzyż Walecznych and should it have a number on it or not always?

Hi Cenowski,

As with pre-war and exile WW2 forces Crosses of Valour, there were numerous variants produced. Some are scarcer than others, but in general most ‘44’s are common and in plentiful supply on the market. They were not officially serial numbered. I don’t collect Soviet occupation era, but am aware of these KW’s selling for $50 - $80.

Regards,
    Tony

So if i was looking at getting a LWP era Cross of Valour given out in WW2 and not after say in the 50s on wards should i be looking at those dated at 1943?

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    So if i was looking at getting a LWP era Cross of Valour given out in WW2 and not after say in the 50s on wards should i be looking at those dated at 1943?
    No. The 1943 dated crosses were the first issue made in Moscow and awarded in part to 1st Tadeusz Kościuszko Infantry Division veterans following the Battle of Lenino. They are sometimes called the "leninowskie" type. The majority of the crosses awarded to the Polish Armed Forces in the East fighting alongside the Red Army were 1944 dated.

Regards,
    Tony

Hi!
    I know you´re not really into PRL period, but is there any way to find a copy from a good one?
    Thank you very much!

If you mean the 1944 crosses, finding a genuine example should be relatively easy. The common LWP/PRL variants remain plentiful on the market, and I don’t believe that they are being reproduced to any great extent. But the same old rules apply: research the item you want, buy from reputable sellers, make sure there’s a refund option offered, items with verifiable provenance are best, and anything that looks new probably is.

If you’re after one of the rarer variants, such as the 1943, then you’ll need to devote more time to researching. The 1943’s are copied, so caution needs to be exercised.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast