Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

This hat eagle badge doesn’t make any sense!

Article about: Here’s a strange one for you LWP experts. This is a post war Polish People’s Army hat eagle badge that resides in a friend’s collection. He asked that I try to find out some information abou

Default This hat eagle badge doesn’t make any sense!

Here’s a strange one for you LWP experts.

This is a post war Polish People’s Army hat eagle badge that resides in a friend’s collection. He asked that I try to find out some information about it. I do not collect militaria from the communist Russian occupation era so cannot offer much, although this appears to be a post 1952 version. So why is there a WW2 period German mark stamped into the reverse? Is this a fake / fantasy creation? Any and all comments are welcome.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture This hat eagle badge doesn’t make any sense!   This hat eagle badge doesn’t make any sense!  

Attached Images Attached Images This hat eagle badge doesn’t make any sense! 

?

Default Re: This hat eagle badge doesn’t make any sense!

That's a weird piece Tony, ....
    .. Have you also noticed that the "waffenstamp" has been stamped 3 times over itself ?

No doubt a fantasy piece .. as you say the timescales do not add up !
    Probably someone having some "fun" then throwing the badge onto the open market ..

Gary J.

Hi Tony, I would suggest the same thing as Gary.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, my thoughts as well assuming that my dating of the eagle is correct. Eagles of this pattern were produced as early as 1944, although my limited LWP references seem to indicate this as a later badge based on the feathering pattern. But I could be wrong, and I was still asked to post it for the comments of others. As they say, there is wisdom in the counsel of many.

Gary, I did notice the multiple strikes of the Waffenampt – perhaps suggesting ‘extra special care’ was taken with this one.

Can anyone verify the production date of this specific type of eagle badge?

Regards,
    Tony

3mk
    ?

Agreed a fantasy.Maybe someone thought it was German and stamped it to increase value?

pjm
    ?

Afer the fall of Wall, various archives and museums were plundered and a lot of WA and other stamps for various purposes, like marking metal (guns, etc), came onto the market. I had a Totenkopf and some others and sold them along the way.

This appears to be an enterprising effort to make something ridiculous or just make use of the stamp for the fun of it. I admit, though, that having stamps like these, one is inclined to take a hammer and mark anything within reach...pot and pans, tools, etc.

Here is an Ebay item with same Gerrman stamp and numbering:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/WW2-US-army-Thomp...209221001r6374

"........Here is a WW2 US army Thompson butt stock. As you can see in photograph still in excellent condition. For some unusual reason has had German army proof stamps applied to it twice, under the stamps is what looks to be W8A518."

There is one guy on some Militaria markets who makes some stamping of a the ss mark into the queens face on a 50p piece in the uk, i wouldnt supprise me if is that sort of work done again buy someone being an idiot maybe even a unpset german disgruntled at loosing the war