Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish dagger Air Force ???

Article about: Hi guys, I've just been offered this Polish dagger and would like opinions on it please, as to era, just what it is and what sort of price I should pay for it. Cheers Annoyed from this ads?

Default Polish dagger Air Force ???

Hi guys, I've just been offered this Polish dagger and would like opinions on it please, as to era, just what it is and what sort of price I should pay for it.Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ???Polish dagger Air Force ??? Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish dagger Air Force ???  

1924 Polish Air Force Dagger in Silver
    Here's one similar from the 1920s!.....

And one from the 30s!..
    1937 Polish Air Force Dagger

Gunny has zeroed in on this being a pre-WW2 dagger (and I'll move this thread to the appropriate section of the forum). It is a Gabriel Borowski made wz.24/37 model by virtue the handle and scabbard metal components being made entirely of white metal, rather than silver plated brass of the earlier wz.24 model. The blade etching is thought to be an earlier pattern used by Borowski, so this is possibly the initial production run of the later model dagger. Daggers with white metal components were worn in the air force, armoured corps, and motorized artillery. Navy daggers had gold coloured metal elements.

The dagger appears genuine, and has survived in very good condition. The monogrammed ricasso confirms this as a custom ordered piece, which tends to make them more desirable. As far as value, one in this condition should fetch a solid $1500+.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I have always appreciated these daggers as they were so handsomely crafted.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the replies guys. I've spoken to the man who has it and I'm meeting him tomorrow, to buy the dagger. He's had it years and never cleaned it. The debate now is, should it be cleaned or left as it is. Cheers Steve

I'd leave it be, it looks nice enough as it is!.....

Hi Steve,

The dagger doesn't appear to require any cleaning at all. I see only honest patina. Patina that will take 8 decades to put back if you strip it off. Leave it as is. And congratulations on acquiring a very nice dagger.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Buy it and DON'T clean it!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well guys, I bought the dagger this morning. Not a cheap purchase, but well worth having in my collection. Don't think there's that many on the market in this condition for sale. Thanks for all your replies. Cheers Steve

Steve, congratulations again. Yes, definitely not a commonly seen item on the market, regardless of condition. If you managed to purchase it for around the value indicated in my earlier post you did well.

You may find this photo I recently added to this thread (post #313) of interest as it shows the pre-war dagger in wear:

Pre-war Badge thread

Cheers,
    Tony