Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish "Rogatywka"cap

Article about: Hello, I purchased this cap few years ago. I would like to know if it's late war 1944-45 cap or post-war 1945-48. I believe crowned eagle buttons have been added later, however not sure. Any

Default Polish "Rogatywka"cap

Hello,

I purchased this cap few years ago. I would like to know if it's late war 1944-45 cap or post-war 1945-48. I believe crowned eagle buttons have been added later, however not sure. Any comments appreciated. Thank you

Cheers
    A.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Rogatywka"cap   Polish "Rogatywka"cap  

Polish "Rogatywka"cap   Polish "Rogatywka"cap  

Hi Alex, definitely post war. The clue is in the address on the makers label - Warsaw. The city was in German hands until August 1st 1944 when the Warsaw Uprising began and raged for just over two months. In January 1945 the Soviet Red Army entered the destroyed city which had systematically been razed to the ground by the Germans on Hitler's orders. Visiting US General Dwight Eisenhower was moved to comment, "I have seen many towns destroyed, but nowhere have I been faced with such destruction." It took a while before any commercial activity could star up anew.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Rogatywka"cap  
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 03-10-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony, Thank you, Good point. I really appreciate your opinion. Very sad photo.
    Regards
    A.S.

?

Alex !

This could be rogatywka from the war time 1944-1945. The maker is from Warsaw - "Praga" who tried to regain freedom on September 15th, 1944. After this day, the Soviet and Polish army stayed and looked to the Vistula River to fight for the Warsaw Uprising.
    The army began an offensive in January 1945. The time, between 15 September 1944 and January 1945, may be this was done when the cap ????
    I do not think that this cap is then made as in 1946. It is my opinion. This hat crown could be from war time. I have more like 40 Rogatywkas and only one of them have a specific crown material like yours.
    After the war, the Rogatywkas have better crown material. Of course, not better than before the war, but better than yours.
    I do not believe that the crown buttons were added on later. These kind of buttons were made in Poland until December 1946.

Regards

Robek

?

Thank You Tony for that picture. I had seen many pic's of WW2 destroyed cities. I have read about the uprising. But this is the first time I had seen one of Warsaw's aftermath. Most of the others cities were from aerial bombing but Warsaw's total demise to rubble because of the Germans assault on it just leave me speechless.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Robek View Post
    Alex !

This could be rogatywka from the war time 1944-1945. The maker is from Warsaw - "Praga" who tried to regain freedom on September 15th, 1944. After this day, the Soviet and Polish army stayed and looked to the Vistula River to fight for the Warsaw Uprising.
    The army began an offensive in January 1945. The time, between 15 September 1944 and January 1945, may be this was done when the cap ????
    I do not think that this cap is then made as in 1946. It is my opinion. This hat crown could be from war time. I have more like 40 Rogatywkas and only one of them have a specific crown material like yours.
    After the war, the Rogatywkas have better crown material. Of course, not better than before the war, but better than yours.
    I do not believe that the crown buttons were added on later. These kind of buttons were made in Poland until December 1946.

Regards

Robek
    Robek, Thank you for your comment, Again, I really appreciate it. My hope is back. Interesting facts about crown material. I would love to see your Rogatywka's someday. More like 40? Huge collection, impressive! Once again thank you.

Kind Regards
    Alex

?

Alex !

Look at these photos I'm sending right now. It's from 1946-1948. Look at how they're made, look at the material. Look at how beautiful it's made, the quality of it. Of course, the Rogatywkas before the War was more beautiful than this. I could talk about this for hours, but I won't bore you.

Regards

Robek

?

Alex !

Now I'm sending you an example of a war time Rogatywka with bad quality, materials, and manufacturing. Inside is from the German hat cup, maker from Bremen .

Regards

Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Rogatywka"cap   Polish "Rogatywka"cap  

Robek, Again thank you kindly! Now I can see the difference in quality. Good to see Crowned pre-WW2 Eagle badges along with 1946-1948 caps. Beautiful Rogatywka`s! Thank you for sharing!
    Please, I want to hear more about your Rogatywka`s. I always wonder how long after WW2 crowned Eagles were allowed to wear in Poland. I mean official, and in practice, unofficial. I hope these question make sense.

Regards
    Alex

?

Alex !

The Eagle, after the war, was cut off the crown. I think that about 95% of the hats had that done during this period truncated. The seldom meets with the postwar cap with an eagle in the crown. They are usually exchanged later.

Regards

Robek

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast