MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Wz. 35 Helmet - more info needed

Article about: I have recently acquired this Wz.35 helmet. It seems to be in very good condition, although it seems to have been repainted in greyish green paint. I know that is has been repainted because

Question Wz. 35 Helmet - more info needed

I have recently acquired this Wz.35 helmet. It seems to be in very good condition, although it seems to have been repainted in greyish green paint. I know that is has been repainted because underneath there is still the original light gray paint. What can you tell me about the helmet? Was the shell manufactured before the war and the relined/repainted after? And who used it - Civil Defence, Air Defence or Fire fighters? Thanks. Wz. 35 Helmet - more info neededWz. 35 Helmet - more info neededWz. 35 Helmet - more info needed

Hello, yes, this is likely a pre-WW2 helmet shell as I am unaware that production of these continued post war. Not a military helmet, but did see civilian paramilitary usage with the OPL (anti-aircraft), and also firefighting. The OPL helmets were a light grey finish whereas firefighting issues were chromed, so yours was once OPL. Surviving helmets continued in service after the war. Yours might be a post war re-paint to serve in another role - ??

As far as the liner, it has the pre-war pattern but the leather appears odd, with what appears to be stitched edges. The ones that I am familiar with (including one that I once owned) appeared identical to the army issue wz.31 helmet with die cut tanned leather, and the only difference being the liner “pillows” on the wz.35 were made of a blue fabric. Wz.31 liners had white pillows.

There is a slight bend in the ring suggesting that the liner on your helmet may be a replacement. Original equipment liners were a snug fit and perfectly uniform around their circumference without any bends.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks a lot for the reply, Tony. I agree with you. From the info I have collected since I posted the pictures here, I seems that it was an OPL helmet, due to the light gray colour still visible underneath. Although shell production did not continue after the wall, pre-war helmets and unfinished shells were relined and repainted for use by the civil protection. So, yes you are right - the liner was not the original leather liner similar to that of the Wz.31. Post-war civil protection wz.35s had canvas liners (hence the stitches) but retained the blue pillows. They were also repainted grey-green - like mine. You're a very keen observer - didn't notice the bend on the inner ring. What I would like to ask you Tony is about the rarity of such helmets - are they common? I had never come across one to tell you the truth. And what about the price?

You’re most welcome. Wz.35’s are not particularly rare. The wz.31 is the helmet that collectors chase, by virtue of its military pedigree. The most desirable wz.35’s have the metal Ludwikow factory tag with production date, and of course, undamaged with original finish and liner intact.

Quote by prcachia View Post
    You're a very keen observer - didn't notice the bend on the inner ring.
    This is a routine part of the mandatory examination process with these helmets. It’s just about impossible to swap liners without leaving some trace of the transplant, whether that be ring deformation, or re—bent retaining tabs.

Lastly, re price, this forum is not a valuation service. Nonetheless, I did find this example currently for sale. I can tell you that at this price it’s likely been sitting awaiting a buyer for a while.

http://bp-militaria.com/sstore/helm-...opl-p-219.html

Wz. 35 Helmet - more info needed

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Sorry for the trouble Thanks for finding the example for sale. I am not intending to sell mine of course. But since it's not a military helmet I barely found any information at first. I can only dream of the Wz.31 - wouldn't afford one anyway I managed to lay my hand on this helmet for 90 Euros and I wanted to check whether I was ripped off. Still it's quite a beautiful and strange helmet, like a cross-section between an Adrian helmet and a Wz.31. Thanks for your help Tony, much appreciated. Cheers.

No trouble at all. Happy to help. Don’t give up on obtaining a wz.31. The best thing you can do ahead of a purchase is to study up on them so that you know what details to look for in an original.

Here’s a thread from way back at the start of the War Relics Forum containing some good information for you to digest:

My pre-WW2 Polish wz.31

Best wishes,
    Tony