Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pics : Nahkampfmesser in the Ardennes.

Article about: Back in the 1960s we collected those 'bubblegum cards'. My lifelong fascination with the 'Battle of the Bulge' started with this card : - I'd never heard of the Battle before ( OK, I was onl

Default Three pins win.

Need a knife that possesses three retaining pins, see red arrow below.

Best,

V/r Lance

Pics : Nahkampfmesser in the Ardennes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pics : Nahkampfmesser in the Ardennes.
    P
    Many

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Back in the 1960s we collected those 'bubblegum cards'. My lifelong fascination with the 'Battle of the Bulge' started with this card : -

Attachment 1280275

I'd never heard of the Battle before ( OK, I was only 9 ! ) but remember poring over the image of the tough-looking, heavily-armed German soldier - complete with his fighting knife.....

Many years later, I'd read and studied a lot, visited Poteau, and bought my own rusty fighting knife from the Ardennes - and now another one from the Stoneleigh Fair - all because of that iconic photo.

Attachment 1280294

Information about the German Close Combat Knife is surprisingly sketchy, but I've enjoyed searching the internet ( and especially older threads on this Forum - particularly from rbminis ). So I've been taking another look at that superb sequence of photos from Poteau.

Alternative view of that Leibstandarte MG42 gunner, complete with Browning HP35 and that knife. Those grooves in the grips look as though they may have been applied with a file ?

Attachment 1280297

Close-up ( apologies for the grain ) -

Attachment 1280298

Attachment 1280299

But there's something interesting about another SS-Rottenfuhrer ( 'raincoat man' ) in the same photo sequence. Pallud/Ramsey in 'Battle Of The Bulge - Then & Now' caption the photo as 'bayonet stuffed down the back of his boot...' and admittedly, it's a small part of the image. But Buffetaut in Militaria HS39 shows more detail. Looking closely, the rivets and shape of the grips seem to indicate another Nahkampfmesser....

Attachment 1280307

Attachment 1280308 I wonder if the Waffen-SS guys coveted those knives & 'acquired' them ? Well, that's pure speculation.

Are there any other photos of the Nahkampfmesser in 'action' , I wonder ?
    Yes they would of coveted those knives as they were found while in the field...as would the Allies during their advancement.
    What ever weapon or knife is found on the ground or on a fallen soldier is just another fighting tool to add into their arsenal of survival and battle.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I've always thought that photo showed this style knife.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pics : Nahkampfmesser in the Ardennes.  

Quote by sb98 View Post
    I've always thought that photo showed this style knife.
    Yes, this, particular, pattern Kampfmesser of the Wehrmacht-Heer is, definately, the knife that the machine-gunner is carrying.

But, I´m not sure if it´s the same pattern Armeedolch the other soldier´s carrying in the boot leg.
    IMHO it´s an WWI Armeedolch, manufactured by the
    RASIERMESSER
    FABRIK
    ERN
    WALD, RHEINL.

Some German WWI Armeedolche do also fit German WWII combat knife sheats actually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2