Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 and possibly WW2 pilot???

Article about: I was wondering if someone can help me with this pic and frame.... first off, the writing on the back of the pic dated 1918... and the handmade frame dated 1931... I was told that a WW1 pilo

?

Default WW1 and possibly WW2 pilot???

I was wondering if someone can help me with this pic and frame.... first off, the writing on the back of the pic dated 1918... and the handmade frame dated 1931... I was told that a WW1 pilot had a swastika painted on his plane.. anyways I'm trying to reserch this piece Ewald Alberts??? or Albers?? I think thats the name on the pic...

Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 and possibly WW2 pilot???   WW1 and possibly WW2 pilot???  

Default Re: WW1 and possibly WW2 pilot???

Looks like he was a ww1 vet that joined the DLV, don't know about any ww1 aircraft with a swaz or the name. Wish you luck in your search.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

The name reads Ewald Albert. I wonder what "MLC" stands for, but I agree with Eric, that it looks to be as you had guessed-a WWI Veteran pilot that was still flying in 1931. Not really sure what flying outfit would have had a Swastika in 1931, though. And, oddly enough, too-in the photo he isn't wearing any aviation badge or insignia-which one would certainly think that he would have, for a portrait picture. His name is not on the "Aces" list for any country in WWI and the Spanish Civil War as well as WWII. The only German WWI pilots that had a Swaz for a symbol that I can Think of(there may be more, of course) was Fritz Beckhardt and Werner Voss (ironically both were Jewish!). It was used by all sides, though-even on planes by aces such as the famed Raoul Lufbery( with his 2 pet lions in the aerodrome named "Whiskey and Soda" )! Is strange, for sure.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thank you for the input... this item has me puzzled.