Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

20 Reichsmarks bank note

Article about: Greetings, I found this bank note locally. Is this an original? I noticed it has a water mark & it seems like a relatively modern feature especially for something from the 30s-40s.

Default 20 Reichsmarks bank note

Greetings, I found this bank note locally. Is this an original? I noticed it has a water mark & it seems like a relatively modern feature especially for something from the 30s-40s.
    20 Reichsmarks bank note
    20 Reichsmarks bank note
    20 Reichsmarks bank note

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 20 Reichsmarks bank note
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

It's looks fine to me. I have old currency going back to the early 1900's with water marks. And I'm sure it goes back even further

I'm not a numismatist.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    It's looks fine to me. I have old currency going back to the early 1900's with water marks. And I'm sure it goes back even further

I'm not a numismatist.....
    Thanks man! I did see after I posted that some reichsmarks & other paper items did indeed have watermarks. I am quite surprised honestly. Maybe it's because American currency didn't have watermarks until a relatively short time ago. Or at least, I have only noticed them on newer US bills.

I was surprised to see my reichs banknote also tiny had red & blue hair thin threads on it. Also, another feature that exists on modern currency that I didn't expect to see on early 20th century currency.

I paid $10 for that banknote & I liked the design so I took the chance. I am currently hunting down another example so I can find out the story behind the woman on the front.

That particular Reichsbanknote is called the Tiroler Schein. So I would think that she represents an Austrian woman who lived in Tirol. Her attire certainly fits that idea. I do not think she is a specific person, but rather a generic sort, if humans can be classed as generic. At the time that note was printed, Austria was part of the Reich, so using an Austrian representation on a bank note would not be unusual. Dwight

The design for this bill was actually carried over from a pre-Anschluss Austrian design for a Schilling bill from 1936 that was never issued:

Osterreichischer Schilling – Wikipedia

The artists were Rudolf Junk and Josef Seger. The lake depicted on the bill is the Gosausee with the Dachstein mountains.

I agree that the woman is not supposed to be anybody in particular (although surely some lady modelled for it), but just the typical/ideal Austrian mountain lady. By the way, note the flowers she is holding: An Enzian and an Edelweiß; ubiquitous symbols for the Bavarian/Austrian highlands and mountain regions.

Thanks for the help fellas. I agree it is likely a generic depiction of an Austrian woman & not someone in particular.

@HPL you made a great point regarding the edleweiss. That's actually one of the reasons I bought the note. I like the symbolism & I have my sights set on a few edleweiss insignias as we speak!

Just picked up this bank note today. Starting to really enjoy Third Reich currency!
    20 Reichsmarks bank note
    20 Reichsmarks bank note

Nice. The reverse on this one depicts the Brunswick Cathedral with the Brunswick Lion.

Brunswick Cathedral - Wikipedia

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Nice. The reverse on this one depicts the Brunswick Cathedral with the Brunswick Lion.

Brunswick Cathedral - Wikipedia
    Thank you for the info! I'd be satisfied to even possess just half of your knowledge!

These notes are very addicting, and very cheap to collect. There are a great variety of Third Reich-era banknotes, as well as currency issued in occupied countries. Domestic notes will be marked 'Reichsbanknote', and most occupation currency will be marked 'Reichskreditkassen'.

Some examples from my own collection. Occupation currency on the left, and a couple of the notes you have, plus a 100 Reichsmark banknote on the right.

20 Reichsmarks bank note

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast