Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Award Documents

Article about: I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for award documents for the following two German Third Reich Army officers: Major Georg Briel, AfrikaCorps officer. Lt Col Wilhelm Walther, Brande

Default Award Documents

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for award documents for the following two German Third Reich Army officers:
    Major Georg Briel, AfrikaCorps officer.
    Lt Col Wilhelm Walther, Brandenburg officer.
    Also, if anyone would have pictures of these two officers. I have both of these officers Army daggers in my collection and each of them were Knight's Cross winners.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Award Documents
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Award Documents

I don`t have pictures or documents for Briel,but I do have info on what units he commanded and the date of his award of the Ritterkreuz.But maybe you already have this info.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    I don`t have pictures or documents for Briel,but I do have info on what units he commanded and the date of his award of the Ritterkreuz.But maybe you already have this info.
    Hi. thanks for your reply to my thread. I do have dates of all his awards, but I would appreciate from you the list of units he commanded for which I do not have much info. Also, do you have any pictures of him? thanks.

?

I have two descriptions of units he commanded,Gruppe Briel,which was Flak-Abteilung 606 at which time he is ranked as Hauptmann Briel..Also Kampfgruppe 200 composed of 2 companys of Panzer-Grenadier -Regiment 155,Stab/Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 200,
    1/Panzerjager-Abteilung 190
    7./Flak-Regiment 25 (luftwaffe)
    Commanded by now Major Briel.
    His award description reads,Briel,Major Georg..Btl.Kdr.(Fla.-Afrika) July 23 1942.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hello. Thank you for your input on Major Briel. I wrote to his son a couple of months ago with no reply received. I was hoping for a picture at least of his gravesite.

BoMir
    ?

Hello Kegan

Here is some information regarding Wilhelm Walther.
    First of all a link to a picture but without a doubt you already have this.

Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 - 1945

I don't know if you speak german but when you go to page 58 of the book of Helmuth Spaeter - Die Brandenburger zbV 800 (2nd print, 1982), you'll find the facts how he received his RK.

In short:
    He earned it for capturing a bridge over the river Meuse near the town / village of Gennep, Holland on the morning of the 10th of May. They were with 9 soldiers. 3 of them were dressed as Dutch soldiers and they acted as if they had captured the german soldiers. In close combat they overmastered a few guards but 4 soldiers got captured in the battle following this action, including him. Wilhelm used a trick to get free. He yelled "Fliegerdeckung" and in the panic that followed they all could flee. They reunited and attacked again. In conclusion they defeated 3 bunkers and captured +/- 40 soldiers. The bridge at Gennep remained intact and was used by the 7th Pz. Div. to push through to the hinterland. He was the first soldier of this unit to receive a RK.

On page 61 there is the text of the congratulations telegram of General Wodrig adressed to Oberleutnant Walther.

Hope this is info is usefull.

KR

Hello KR. Thanks for the info. Yes, I did have that picture, in fact I have an autographed photo. I'll see what I can find in those references you gave me. Regards.