Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group

Article about: Just securing the deal on this set, some interesting photos and the red SS stamp is something I have not seen before Any feedback will be most appreciated Many thanks Nick

Default SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group

Just securing the deal on this set, some interesting photos and the red SS stamp is something I have not seen before

Any feedback will be most appreciated

Many thanks

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group   SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group  

SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group   SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Wiking photos and Feldpost group
    P
    Many

Here's what I have on him:

Name: Silberleitner Karl
    Date and place of birth: 23rd February 1912, Weyregg
    Date and place of death: 20th Oct. 1944, Michałów-Grabina northeast of Warsaw (KIA in the fighting for Hill 97 sector; buried at the military cemetery at Modlin)
    SS no.: 139 450
    NSDAP no.: 784 986
    Officer training: Class of 1937/1938 at Junkerschule Tölz
    Promotions:
    - 9th Nov. 1938 - Untersturmführer
    - by Dec. 1941 - Obersturmführer
    - 20th April 1943 - Hauptsturmführer
    Duty assignments:
    - from ? to ? with SS-Standarte "Der Führer" (at the time of getting his commission)
    - from ? Dec. 1941 to ? acting commander of 7./SS-Regiment "Der Führer"
    - from ? July 1943 to ? commander of 4./SS-Panzergrenadier-Bataillon "Narwa"
    - from 2nd Sept. 1943 to ? March 1944 (acting?) commander of SS-Panzergrenadier-Bataillon "Narwa"
    - from ? to 20th Oct. 1944 commander of 8./SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 6
    Awards and decorations:
    - Ehrenblattspange (posthumous award on 15th Dec. 1944)
    - Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
    - Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse
    - Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber
    - Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (wounded in Nov. 1941)
    - SA-Wehrabzeichen
    - Deutsches Reichssportabzeichen
    - SS-Ehrendegen

Sources:
    Dienstaltersliste der Schutzstaffel der NSDAP of 1st Dec. 1938
    Dienstaltersliste der Waffen-SS of 1st July 1944
    Award proposal for the Ehrenblatt
    Photographic evidence
    Online database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge
    Soldaten im 2. Weltkrieg
    Axis History Forum
    Last edited by HPL2008; 09-19-2014 at 07:11 PM.

His ribbon bar also appears to have the Ostmedal and Austrian Annexation medals.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you very much guys and Andreas a huge thank you for that translation
    Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

will be a nice pickup Nick.

Thanks Harry I have bagged it

Nick

By the way, I think the picture with the SS men wearing tracksuits was taken during Silberleitner's time at the Junkerschule Tölz.

Jay Hatheway's book "In Perfect Formation" has two photographs of cadet rooms at the Tölz school and the style of the lamps, chairs, windows and parquet all match.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    By the way, I think the picture with the SS men wearing tracksuits was taken during Silberleitner's time at the Junkerschule Tölz.

Jay Hatheway's book "In Perfect Formation" has two photographs of cadet rooms at the Tölz school and the style of the lamps, chairs, windows and parquet all match.
    That is great information Andreas thank you !

The book sounds like a must read !

Nick

?

Nick a very nice group , many of the photos are from his time with SS Btl Narwa during the training period at Heidelager and initial deployment into Southern Russian where they joined Wiking became the Third Bn of the Westland Regiment replacing the Finns ! They come from an Estonian wartime magazine publication

Here is some info from his time with 3 and 4/ Narwa at the time of their first Battles at Izjum in July 1943!!

The majority of the battalion's car park was left to Heidelager, they took only the special machines: weapons' workshops, ammunition and equipment machines, kitchen and food cars. But quite soon the men received the full series. The Division Wiking left the Finnish battalion, whose time set in the contract ended. So the men received this battalion's weapons and technology. A group of drivers was sent to Germany, who brought brand new cars with diesel motor to carry the group. The 3rd Company received a Zündap motorcycle from the Finns, which had a beautiful girl's name on the gas tank – Lotte. But this was not favored by company leader Karl Silberleitner. It turned out that his girlfriend was also named Lotte. He didn't order the men to scrape it off and so the motorcycle messenger got to ride on the company leader's girlfriend around the Ukrainian steppe for a long time.

The Battalion Narva, which rested after the Izium battles and was reorganized, arrived to Olshana district with the main forces of the Division Wiking. The reorganizing of the Narva board and junior leaders took place there. The battalion leader was SS-Hauptsturmführer Grafhorst, the 1st Company leader SS-Obersturmführer Schmidt, the 2nd Company leader Eberhard Heder, the 3rd Company leader SS-Obersturmführer Leicht, the 4th Company leader SS-Hauptsturmführer Karl Silberleitner

Regards

Paul

Paul this is great information, many thanks

I like the 'Lotte' and motorcycle anecdote

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast