Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice for a Budding Collector

Article about: Hello everyone! I am not just new to this forum, I am also very new to collecting military-related photographs. I have been studying history and art history for the past five years but, almo

Default Advice for a Budding Collector

Hello everyone!

I am not just new to this forum, I am also very new to collecting military-related photographs. I have been studying history and art history for the past five years but, almost as though out of nowhere, I began to feverishly collect World War II photographs and negatives only this past summer. It has brought me great joy, acquainting myself with the stories and faces of those who were witnesses and participants of that war.

As I am very new to this all, I am starting this thread with the hope that you experienced lot could help this young enthusiast out with advice regarding the authenticity of the photographs and to inform me a little on their subject matter. I am hoping to exhibit some of my pictures in a museum space sometime soon.

First, this black and white negative (6 x 4 cm). I scanned it at a fairly high resolution so that you may be able to inspect its details. What can you tell me about these men's rank and about the train? What is the "story" that is being told?

Many thanks in advance! I will be posting some of my other photographs too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice for a Budding Collector  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice for a Budding Collector
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum!

The men in the photograph are Luftwaffe personnel. All the men apart from the one on the extreme right are NCO's, as indicated by the silver piping on their collars and shoulderboards.

The man on the right, and one in the centre of the photograph, have observer badges pinned to their tunics. I believe they are observer badges, rather than pilot's badges. The latter had a golden wreath. It is hard to tell due to the nature of the photograph.

Some basic information on those badges here: Pilot/Observer Badge - Wikipedia

I cannot say where this photograph was taken. However, the markings on the side of the train car may provide a clue to more knowledgeable members than myself.

Regards, B.B.

By no means an expert but carriage 82 831 is the Deutshes Reichsbahn carriage that was originally built in around 1927. I cant read the town underneath it might be Regensburg but that is only a guess. The other data on the end of the carriage refers to the layout, weight etc. Sadly nothing to tie down an exact location.

It looks like a photo op to me.
    The man facing the right appears to be carrying a camera case slung over his shoulder.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I also see, (not related), bullet holes in the train car.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I don’t think those are bullet holes rather damage to the photo as one of the soldiers with a visor has a giant hole below his ear in similar manner to the holes on the train car

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The man on the right, and one in the centre of the photograph, have observer badges pinned to their tunics. I believe they are observer badges, rather than pilot's badges. The latter had a golden wreath. It is hard to tell due to the nature of the photograph.
    No observer badges in the photograph, B.B. The observer badge [Beobachterabzeichen] had a different design of eagle. The design of the Pilot's Badge [Flugzeugführerabzeichen] and the Combined Pilot/Observer Badge [Gemeinsames Flugzeugführer- und Beobachterabzeichen] was identical except for the colours: The former had a tarnished-silver eagle and a bright silver wreath, the latter a bright-silver eagle and a gold wreath. The combined badge was for personnel who were fully qualified in both roles and had held one of the individual badges for at least one year.

Shown below for illustration are my 1957er badges (left to right: Observer, Pilot, Pilot/Observer) in colour and b & w. (I don't have any wartime specimens. The difference between those and the 1957ers is, of course, the absence of the Swastika from the latter.)

The sleeve patch worn by the man third from right is the general badge for personnel on flight status [fliegendes Personal]. This was worn by aircrew members until they had qualified for one of the flight badges (pilot, glider pilot, observer, air gunner or paratrooper).

The carriage on the left is marked for Magdeburg (partially obscured by the Unteroffizier wallking past it), but of course that doesn't tell us anything about the location where the photograph was taken. Also note the dates of 12 May 1937 and 12 May 1938 next to that marking. I am no expert on railway carriage markings, but they have something to do with maintenance cycles or guarantee periods. Based on that and the lack of any wartime awards on the uniforms, I would say this is a pre-war photograph.

?

A guess but is it “Magdeburg”that is written/hidden behind the person on the far left on the train carriage.

I only know Magdeburg as place due lots of ordnance being made there.

Dear B.B., thank you for the warm welcome and your comments! Can you tell the rank of the man on the far right? BlackCat1982, I looked closely at the negative and the town underneath is Königsberg, not Regensburg. How do you know carriage 82 831 was originally built in around 1927? I would love to have a good source for this so I can learn about other Reichsbahn carriages too! Thank you, HPL2008, for the extensive and useful information you have given us, and for providing black and white images in addition to the colour ones. I attach some close-ups in case they reveal any more information, and will post my next picture in about an hours' time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice for a Budding Collector   Advice for a Budding Collector  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast