Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Algemeine SS men at rest

Article about: The persons pictured are not Allgemeine SS, but SSVT. I think they are signals troops at the 1936 Berlin Olympics in the western part of Berlin.

Algemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restThe persons pictured are not Allgemeine SS, but SSVT. I think they are signals troops at the 1936 Berlin Olympics in the western part of Berlin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Algemeine SS men at rest
    P
    Many

The SS men rest at the outside of the big arena for the 1936
    Olympic Games. A few images from the Internet (sorry one twice):.
    Attached Images Attached Images Algemeine SS men at rest  Algemeine SS men at rest  Algemeine SS men at rest 

A great picture. The men are not Allgemeine SS but SS-VT as it is evident they are wearing the double rune collar tab with a number below.

Oops! Sorry FB, I missed your post.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

After further study of the picture, I agree with FB that it is a signal blitz and not a number on the collar tab. Here is their unit flag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Algemeine SS men at rest   Algemeine SS men at rest  

BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That is one beautiful flag, thanks for showing!
    cheers, Glenn

?

In the photo, it appears that the cuff title is blank on these men.

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    In the photo, it appears that the cuff title is blank on these men.
    It is indeed.

Several units of the SSVT used a blank cuff title. I am aware of at least three: Both the SS-Nachrichtensturmbann and the SS-Pioniersturmbann started out with blank cuff titles before these were replaced by distinctive ones with the unit designation. SS-Sturmbann N also had a blank cuff title, which - as far as I know - it retained throughout its existence.

(Data according to Mollo's standard reference.)

Algemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restAlgemeine SS men at restThanks to Andreas. If you watch Riefenstahl's Olympia in its fullness, you will see that all sorts of Nazi organizations in their variety were mobilized for the Olympic games.
    Vol. III of Mollo describes the regalia of the SSVT, and though the book is elderly like me, it is still the standard work, despite all gaudy picture books in the interval.
    The key to an understanding of the SS is its organizational hysterics, which grew in great part from its intrinsic violence in the structure of the Nazi state.
    Such organizational hysteria contrasts with normal military organizations particularly in the maritime democracies, known to some members here via actual service.
    The regalia mimicked the hysteria, and, as the primary sources well depict, confused people at the time, so it is small wonder that we are mixed up.
    The Eicke biography makes this point, as do all the sound works on said subject. I leave aside the apologia literature.
    In 1936 the SSVT was in a process of rapid expansion.

?

Thx guys for the interesting reply's.

Helmets Hell...line up a couple of tripod machine guns and with a loudspeaker announce "Achtung!! Strip and deposit your uniforms and gear into the back of the large ton and a half truck behind me! And be Quick about it!! Schnell!! "
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast