Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone recognize the gate in this photo?

Article about: I've been told this door/gate may be found at one of the concentration camps, but am not sure if that's likely. The guy I've been chatting with about this photo and I were hoping it might be

Default Anyone recognize the gate in this photo?

I've been told this door/gate may be found at one of the concentration camps, but am not sure if that's likely. The guy I've been chatting with about this photo and I were hoping it might be recognizable to someone. Does anyone remember seeing this at any camps, or are we just looking at a door here?

Thanks guys!

Anyone recognize the gate in this photo?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone recognize the gate in this photo?
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Looks like a castle door or old prison gate , I'd think the door handle would 1880/90's .

?

Without further clues, such as any information written on the reverse for examle, it is going to be difficult to verify the locale. However, a number of satellite camps, i.e. branches of major camps such as any of the Stammlagers that came under the administration of the SS, were located within former large estates - including some castles. Numerous fortifications / castles were utilised as early concentration camps too - these are often refered to as wild camps, due to their initial lack of typically well organised structure and method of function. Older fortress style sites utilised by the SS - such as Breendonk, Theresienstadt and the like also feature many older fittings and such, much of which is extent.

The style of the door and handle is befitting to an earlier period. One must also consider the fact too, that the vast majority of structures established within the typical Konzentrationslager were constructed almost entirely of wood with a stone foundation. Facilities such as an Arrestbau / Bunker however, were generally an exception and cannot be ruled out entirely.

Carl

Thanks Carl for such a thorough response. I suspect your points and what CBH said are probably as close as can be hoped for, and I would suspect you guys are probably spot on. Too bad with so many possible locations, it may never be something that can be identified. But, seems like a camp is fairly easy to rule out.

Thanks again guys!

CBH
    ?

On some photography site you can search things like "German Doors" or similar or "Castle doors of Germany" if this survived the war you may see it posted , it would be a long shot but you might get lucky .

I am not sure those doors are that old!
    The side looks like modern(!) concrete and the hinges seem like wel fitted in the walls.
    Door handles like that one, can still be found now.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Try to look in catalogues like these;
    https://www.google.be/search?q=catal...xIDIUQ_AUIBigB

There are many more, but this is the only one I can come up with right now.
    And look for simillar hinges and door knob's.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

The man have one HJ badge.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Trying to work it out in isolation is tough. If it been among an album then there might have been other pictures to build up further clues. Intriguing picture.

it actually looks like the right side of a set of double door/gate rather than just a single door/gate.