Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Arno Breker Signature in 1941 Artbook

Article about: Hello. This is my first post outside of the welcome forum. I have an Arno Breker artbook from 1941. I am wondering if the signature on the first page is authentic. I have researched this as

Question Arno Breker Signature in 1941 Artbook

Hello. This is my first post outside of the welcome forum. I have an Arno Breker artbook from 1941. I am wondering if the signature on the first page is authentic.

I have researched this as best I can online, but I am not 100% positive. From what I have researched, it seems that Breker's later signatures make the "B" in "Breker" more emphasized and rounded, whereas in his earlier signatures, the "B" is more jagged, as is shown in the previous image. But this is just from my limited bit of research.

Going off of Art Signature Dictionary - Explore the world of artists, there is one signature in which the "B" of "Breker" matches very well, as do all of the other characters (the one at the bottom). The image provided does not give all of them, just a few.

However, this is one of only two signatures I was able to find in which the "B" looks as it does in the art book; all of the others have a rounded "B". Also, this signature does possess the very characteristic flared "K" that I have seen in some other examples.

As for the medium of the signature: I am relatively certain that it is signed in felt-tip pen, which would be appropriate for the time period. However, it does look a little thick in some areas, so I am concerned that it may be a forgery with a Sharpie.

Thank you for any help you may provide,
    brekerfan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Arno Breker Signature in 1941 Artbook
    P
    Many

brekerfan; I think that you can rest assured that the signature is genuine. Authors and the book's subject routinely sign works for book sellers (a signed book has greater sales value), for friends to whom they are giving the book, and occasionally they sign books that fans send them. The signatures are usually the same, but they do vary depending where, when, and under what circumstances the signing is done. I was signing books at the National Archives in 2013 and the line was long. I felt under pressure to move along because the people at the end of the line were obviously becoming restless. So I signed less carefully than when I started. I am sure that your fellow has had the same experience, so don't worry abut any differences you might see. Dwight

Many thanks Dwight. You have put my heart at ease, for I did not think of it in this way.

I am glad that I was able to help. The Best to you, Dwight