Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Assistance needed in translating a letter

Article about: I am reaching out to the members here for your assistance. While cleaning up some boxes at the museum I work at, this letter was discovered at the bottom of one of the boxes. Could someone p

Default Assistance needed in translating a letter

I am reaching out to the members here for your assistance. While cleaning up some boxes at the museum I work at, this letter was discovered at the bottom of one of the boxes. Could someone please translate this letter for me.
    I would very much appreciate any assistance.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance needed in translating a letter   Assistance needed in translating a letter  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance needed in translating a letter
    P
    Many

It's a letter sent to the Auschwitz Concentration Camp, according to the Censorship-Stamp..."Post-Zensurstelle KL Auschwitz"...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 02-23-2017 at 06:32 PM.

It is a letter from a young girl named Kinia to her mother.

She says that she is delighted with her last letter. She mentions sad times but by studying hard it helps make the sad times go by faster and that hopefully they'll end soon. She says that they received her (the mothers) photo and that they hung it on the wall with a vase of fresh flowers in front of it. Looking at the photo reminds her of the good times. The girl also says that she received a gift of a watch and hopes to receive a ring but that they (?) don't know that she has received presents. She says that they have everything, the only thing missing is you, mother, our only worry is you, mother. She mentions a relative who lost a child at 7 months old. She says that she is learning to play the piano and sings and that she plays handball. She wants to know whether mother has received their letters, as two had been returned, and she signs off 'with a thousand kisses'.

The grammar is slightly odd, like German dialect. It makes me wonder whether the girl writing this letter is Polish?
    Last edited by Alexander; 02-23-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Yes, I noticed that too...the German Grammar is "Off" a bit...The way a foreigner tends to speak German...Thanks for your more detailed assistance, Alexander!
    cheers, Glenn

As said above, a letter from a child to her mother and written in awkward German.

However, from the references to gifts, visits from relatives etc. It is clear that the child is not the inmate of the camp; the mother is. (If the censor's stamp is authentic to the letter. Carl should be able to tell you more.)

Folks,

I can't begin to thank you all for the wonderful responses. You have really been a great help. Unfortunately my mother in law who is German now suffers from dementia and I did not have the heart to ask her to help me since she is battling this terrible disease.

Since receiving this help from all of you I have decided to join the forum as a paying member..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Folks,

I have decided to join the forum as a paying member..

Smitty
    Excellent News, Smitty and Welcome to the Gold Club!! I strongly believe that WRF is the TOP MILITARIA FORUM on the Web - A Wealth of Knowledge, Fellowship, and Dedicated Moderators/Admin...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks Glen and everyone else

I truly hope that I can share my knowledge with others on here and really look forward to helping in any way I can..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Folks,

I can't begin to thank you all for the wonderful responses. You have really been a great help. Unfortunately my mother in law who is German now suffers from dementia and I did not have the heart to ask her to help me since she is battling this terrible disease.

Since receiving this help from all of you I have decided to join the forum as a paying member..

Smitty
    Hello Smitty,
    I am sorry to hear of your mother's situation.
    I can imagine what you must be going through. My own mother turned 93 this past Christmas, fortunately, her mind is quite clear so far.
    Thank you for helping to keep this forum running!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you Ralph..

Much appreciated kind words about Mom.. It is my wife's mom and it is crushing my wife's spirit.

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast