Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen)

Article about: The most recent (i.e. today) addition to my collection. EK II & I and Fighter Clasp citations to Oberfeldwebel Magnus Brunkhorst who flew with 9./JG-2 Richtofen. His EK's were awarded du

Default Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen)

The most recent (i.e. today) addition to my collection. EK II & I and Fighter Clasp citations to Oberfeldwebel Magnus Brunkhorst who flew with 9./JG-2 Richtofen. His EK's were awarded during the Battle Of Britain receiving the EK II on 28th August 1940 and then the EK I on 28th October 1940 but by the latter date he had only one 'kill' - a Spitfire on 18th August. Looking through Battle Of Britain Then & Now the only 2 Spitfire casualties for that day that match the location (Isle Of Wight) & time (1559 German Time) of Brunkhorst's claim both made it back to base with damage but both pilots unharmed. It seems strange to win both awards with just a solitary kill, especially as I have an EK II citation awarded to a pilot of JG 51 during the BoB and he had shot down 3 aircraft by the time of his award so a little more digging may well be required to find out the 'why's and what-nots'.

Brunkhorst would go on to make 2 further claims, both in 1941 with one being a Spitfire and the other a Whirlwind flown by Sgt Robinson of 263 Sqdn. But as with his first claim there are doubts with his claim for the Whirlwind. Taken from the Operations Book of 263 Sqdn...

'They then flew on a North-Easterly course; as he did so White One saw two presumed ME.109s, orbitting about a mile inland, but thesedid not seem to have observed the Whirlwinds. White One called up White Two “Rats to Port” and at the same time confirmed that WhiteTwo was in no trouble and that he had forty gallons of petrol for each engine. White Two began weaving slightly behind and aboveWhite One.After White One had called “Rats”, White Two began weaving more vigorously. He appeared on both sides of White One but on crossingfrom port to starboard for the second time he failed to re-appear from behind White One. White One turned slightly to starboard andsame time calling up White Two. Absolutely no trace of White Two could be seen although White One completed two turns over the areain which White Two had last been seen – that is, about 10 miles North East of Barfleur. It is to be stressed that the two ME.109shad NOT followed the Whirlwinds and it seems certain that enemy action was not responsible for the disappearance of Sgt. Robinson.White One flew to base making landfall in Bournemouth Bay and landed at Warmwell at 1153.As no military targets had been seen neither of the Whirlwinds fired their guns.Air/Sea Rescue was maintained in the English South Coast area and in the person of P/O Tooth late of this Squadron, now with A/S/R Warmwell,as far as Cherbourg but no trace has been found of Sergeant Robinson.It seems likely that, while weaving he dipped his port wing into the sea and went into it at a very high speed.'

Brunkhorst also received the Fighter Clasp In Bronze on 26th April 1941 followed by the Fighter Clasp In Silver on 17th July 1941. He was promoted to Leutnant in November 1941 before going on to serve at various flying schools, commanding 3./JG-108, 1./JLÜr and 1./JG-103. He survived the war.

Claims
    18 Aug 40 - 9./JG 2 - Spitfire - Isle of Wight - 15.59
    08 Jul 41 - 9./JG 2 - Spitfire - Calais-Marck - 15.48
    06 Nov 41 - 9./JG 2 - Whirlwind - Pointe de Barfleur - 12.30

EK II - signed by General Ritter von Greim
    EK I - signed by General Kastner-Kirdorf
    Fighter Clasp in Bronze - signed (stamped) by Hptm Balthasar
    Fighter Clasp in Silver - signed by Hptm Greisert

Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen) Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen)
    Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen) Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Battle Of Britain Fighter Pilot Citation Set (JG-2 Richtofen)

Another very nice researchable group Hucks well done !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings