Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bunch of stuff! - Cutouts, photos, death cards....

Article about: Hi everyone, I'd like to share my upcoming purchase, which a friend has put together for me. It's a mish mash of stuff, photos, a newspaper cutout and 2 death cards. I'll just run through wh

Dachgruber is buried at the war cemetery in Berneuil.
    Bunch of stuff! - Cutouts, photos, death cards....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bunch of stuff! - Cutouts, photos, death cards....
    P
    Many

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    An interesting date of death. Judging by the date he died he was either part of the force that went to Guéret on 9th June to rescue the encircled German garrison and was wounded on that day, to die of his wounds a day later or he was wounded on the 10th and died the same day. What is interesting about those dates and actions is that the action on the 9th June at Guéret was when SS-Sturmbannführer Helmut Kämpfe was captured and executed by the Resistance and was the catalyst for the atrocity at Oradour-Sur-Glane.

And if he was wounded (and died) on the 10th June he could well of been one of the soldiers that got into a fight with the famed SOE agent Violette Szabo during the action where she was captured.

Taken from the Battleground Europe Das Reich book (a sort of military history tour guide)...
    Leaping from their car, ANASTASIE opened fire from the left hand side while Violette leapt to the right and, taking cover from a tree (which is no longer there, an electric pylon having replaced it) opened fire with her Sten gun. Jean Bariaud had already taken to his heels. The Germans fired back using rapid fire Schmeissers. They were 400 strong, part of Das Reich, making a sweep through the countryside in protection of the main column advancing north to Limoges, or possibly, part of the Deutschland 1st Battalion searching for Sturmbannführer Kämpfe who had gone missing the night before – accounts vary.

On 10 June 1944 he [a young boy] was playing in an open barn opposite the farmhouse when he heard running feet and the whizz of bullets, having previously been alerted by the screeching tyres of a car coming suddenly to a stop in the road beside the barn. Leaping the gate into the field, the two fugitives took off across the field towards a small stream. Running into the farmyard, the SS presented a gun to his father and demanded: ‘Terrorist or Frenchman?’ ‘Frenchman’ came the reply.‘Setting their machine-gun up on the gate they opened fire again’, volley after volley pursuing them as they plunged into the ripening corn. Violette received a flesh wound in her left arm. Zig-zagging their way, to avoid leaving a clearly defined trail, they ran up the steep hill towards the trees. Suddenly, Violette fell, her ankle twisted. Fighting off ANASTASIE’s attempts to pick her up and carry her, she shouted to him to make his getaway. Dragging herself to the edge of the cornfield, she struggled to an apple tree and clamped in another magazine.
    Firing her Sten gun she held off the advancing Germans enabling ANASTASIE to escape. The shooting lasted about half an hour. One corporal was definitely killed, possibly others, and some wounded. Finally, her ammunition ran out and, kicking and struggling, she was overcome by two men who dragged her to the top of the hill and down the lane towards the railway.
    Wait hang on, you mean to tell me this man could've been killed/wounded by Szabo?!!! If so that's amazing, or he could've been killed by one of her friends?

And if it was the 9th, he would've been with the unit helping the encircled Germans, and within his unit was Kampfe who was captured? But if it was the 10th he was with the unit that was after Szabo and looking for Kampfe? Either way it's pretty remarkable

And was Kampfe with the encircled German garrison, or with the relief force?

Quote by HetzersGonnaHetz View Post
    Wait hang on, you mean to tell me this man could've been killed/wounded by Szabo?!!! If so that's amazing, or he could've been killed by one of her friends?

And if it was the 9th, he would've been with the unit helping the encircled Germans, and within his unit was Kampfe who was captured? But if it was the 10th he was with the unit that was after Szabo and looking for Kampfe? Either way it's pretty remarkable

And was Kampfe with the encircled German garrison, or with the relief force?
    To answer your questions...

1) Yes, very possible.

2a) If the 9th, he would of been within Kämpf's unit.
    2b) If the 10th, not only one of the soldiers looking for Kämpfe but one who was shot by Szabo.

3) Kämpfe was in command of the relief force.

That's amazing! I'm incredibly happy with this now I have more info, thank you for shedding light on this hucks, you've been very helpful, can't thank you enough!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2