Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cigarette book???

Article about: I found this at a estate sale in a box of very random German books the only one of its kind of about 250 books. The couple was from Germany and moved here after world war 2. They didn't know

Default Cigarette book???

I found this at a estate sale in a box of very random German books the only one of its kind of about 250 books. The couple was from Germany and moved here after world war 2.

They didn't know much about it but it looks like a German cigarette book. Any help would be great. Thanx
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cigarette book???   Cigarette book???  

Cigarette book???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cigarette book???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cigarette book???

Here are some more pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cigarette book???   Cigarette book???  

Cigarette book???  

Hi Yes your right. A cigarette card album. Nice one to. Not worth the earth but still a good one. Not as common as some of the others

thanks for showing

May i ask what a cigarette book/card album is? Probably a stupid question, but i can see no cigarettes stored in there and its not about cigarettes soo....
    The little german i can read is not helping me either!

Can anybody read this?

Quote by Zachrynor View Post
    May i ask what a cigarette book/card album is? Probably a stupid question, but i can see no cigarettes stored in there and its not about cigarettes soo....
    The little german i can read is not helping me either!
    The cards (photos) were given away as free gifts in packets of cigarettes. This was a popular hobby to collect them. You then bought the album to stick them in which then made a nice book.

Cheers, Ade.

Ah. I see. I never thought they started with stuff like that so long ago. But a nice item! Thanks for the explaining it!

?

A lot of these books were published during the TR (political, uniforms, medals, flags etc.) and they are really useful for reference purposes, even if you cannot read German.
    Here are some of mine.
    The two best ones are 'Adol Hitler' and 'Deutschland Erwacht' but I don't think they were cigarette cards, just photos you bought and put into the album.
    My father had many cigarette cards from Wills and in his day it was a very normal thing for dads to smoke and give their sons the cards...aeroplanes, cars, musicals, cricketers. But undoubedly the TR Used this collection habit for political purposes in a way the UK did not (well, at least not as obviously!).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cigarette book???  

Quote by wessel View Post
    A lot of these books were published during the TR (political, uniforms, medals, flags etc.) and they are really useful for reference purposes, even if you cannot read German.
    Here are some of mine.
    The two best ones are 'Adol Hitler' and 'Deutschland Erwacht' but I don't think they were cigarette cards, just photos you bought and put into the album.
    My father had many cigarette cards from Wills and in his day it was a very normal thing for dads to smoke and give their sons the cards...aeroplanes, cars, musicals, cricketers. But undoubedly the TR Used this collection habit for political purposes in a way the UK did not (well, at least not as obviously!).
    I have to disagree with you on a small point, and that is they were cigarette cards, they came in little packs that you bought when you purchased your tobacco. They would not issue all of them at once, but in dribs and drabs so you would buy them all. I have just sold a pack of cards in their original paper packaging, and it clearly states on the out side "cigaretten"

The Adolph Hitler book, which is orange is the most common. The D.E is too, but there were two types, the colour photos, and black and white. The colour being the more desirable to have.

There were also cigarette card books on armour tanks guns, and uniforms. The one shown is a nice example. They are still relatively cheap to buy. In Germany they cam be bought for around 35 E

However if the dust jackets and boxes are present they command a higher premium

Here`s my cigarette book, got it with its original card box, 1936 edition, its 133 pages have the complete 201photos.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Cigarette book???  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast