Become our sponsor and display your banner here

In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914 ........

Article about: I have just bought this paper, and it has this text: In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914. Das deutshe heer befisst die beften waffen und feine heimat ist getragen vo

Default In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914 ........

I have just bought this paper, and it has this text:
    In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914. Das deutshe heer befisst die beften waffen und feine heimat ist getragen vom opfergeift für das kriegs. WHW.

Is the text correct, and what is the year ? It is certainly from WWII because the text says that the army is better than in 1914.

Do anyone know more about this item
    Regards
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	396120  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914 ........

John: The German text is "In dem kommenden Winterfeldzug gehen wir gerüsteter als 1914. Das deutsche Herr besitzt die besten Waffen und seine Heimat ist getragen vom Opfergeist für das Krieg.WHW." WHW stands for Winter Helf Werke. The translation is: In the comming winter campaign we are better equipped than in 1914. The German Army is equipped with the best weapons and the home front is supportive in the spirit of sacrifice for the war. The time frame is probably late 1941. Are you sure this document is genuine? The reason I ask is that der Krieg is a masculine noun and in the text it's treated as a neuter noun--das Krieg. Both my wife and I, she a German and I just an American who is literate in German, agree that "...Opfergeist für das Kriegs..." appears to be grammatically incorrect and should be "...Opferkeit für den Krieg..." If we are right--and we should wait to hear from other German speakers--then this document is definitely suspect. Neither my wife nor I can imagine that an official agency such as the WHW would have made such a grammatical error. Dwight

Default Re: In den kommenden winterfeldzug gehen wir gelüfteter als 1914 ........

There is no grammatical error here; das Kriegs-WHW (the wartime WHW) is correct.

In a compound term, the last part determines its grammatical gender.

Hence, for example: der Krieg (masculine), but das Kriegsschiff (neutral) or die Kriegskunst (feminine).

Winterhilfswerk is a compound noun itself. While der Winter is male and
    die Hilfe is feminine, das Werk is neutral. Thus: das Winterhilfswerk / das WHW / das Kriegs-WHW.

HPL2008: So that is a hyphen between das Kriegs and WHW (Kriegs-WHW) at the end of the text. It looked like a period to both wife and me, and still does, but looking at it enlarged we see that the dot is actually raised above the base line of the text. Given that, we certainly agree with you. Thanks for the correction. Dwight

Hello Dwight
    Thanks a lot for your additional info, I don´t know if it is fake or not, but perhaps there will be other replies.
    Regards
    John

John: Based on HPL2008’s correction, the specific meaning of the last sentence in the text is somewhat different than what I wrote. Instead of the people being supportive of the war per se, it appears the real message is that they are supportive of the sacrifices needed to support the work of the WHW. I made another error when I wrote that the WHW was the Winter Hilfe Werk. Actually the correct tile is Winters-Hilfwerke des deutschen Volks, which was reduced to WHW. It was a NSDAP service organization that collected money and supplies such as food, books, and clothing for various aspects of war relief. Here are a couple of photos of the WHW's money-raising activities. Dwight

Name:  whw1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  7.7 KB

Name:  whw2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  56.9 KB

Hi all Experts
    Thanks a lot for your ID and good pics, I my self had german in school (remenber Denmark is close to Germany and German is mandatory for 4 years), so when I read the text i didn´t find any errors. I think it is genuine, and the paper looks and feels "old", but one never know, there are so many good fakes around.
    Regards
    John

John: With HPL2008's help, I agree that the card is genuine. The possibility that my question implied was based entirely on my erroneous belief that there was an unlikely grammatical error. In the absence of any grammatical error, there can be no questioning the authenticity of the piece. Dwight