Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering

Article about: Good day folks This is an Ehrenurkunde awarded to a Wilhelm Schünemann of Hamburg by the Reichsjägermeister Hermann Goering for shooting achievements in the Deutsche Jägerschaft. It appears

Question Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering

Good day folks

This is an Ehrenurkunde awarded to a Wilhelm Schünemann of Hamburg by the Reichsjägermeister Hermann Goering for shooting achievements in the Deutsche Jägerschaft.

It appears to be on some sort of skin, would that be vellum? It also appears to have been hand written. It has not been stored particularly well and the black spots on the back look like some sort of mould. Also you can see in the photo that there is some sort of water damage along the bottom.

Firstly, do you think that this is an original Ehrenurkunde and secondly, Could the signature of Goering be original?

In the photo of the signature it looks as thought a mistake was made in the writing of Reichsjägermeister and it has been scratched out and re written below. This is not immediately apparent when you look at the document and only becomes obvious in the photo.

What do you think?

It came with lots of photos including letters and a telegram from Berlin.

Poorly translated thus:

Certificate of Honor
    Mr. Wilhelm Schünemann Hamburg
    Awarded in recognition of special shooting achievements, the shooting of a huntable deer in the state territories.

Reichsjägermeister
    Berlin 16 May 1939

Many thanks for your comments.

Regards

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering   Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering  

Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering   Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Jägerschaft Document signed by Goering
    P
    Many

Quote by jamest8 View Post

It appears to be on some sort of skin, would that be vellum? It also appears to have been hand written.

In the photo of the signature it looks as thought a mistake was made in the writing of Reichsjägermeister and it has been scratched out and re written below. This is not immediately apparent when you look at the document and only becomes obvious in the photo.
    jamest8....the changes made to the animal skin put this in the PALIMPSEST category. I must make it clear that I only offer opinions and observations.

Even though the capital "R" 's compare favorably, I suggest that we are seeing two different hands in the calligraphy.

The argument for two different hands unfortunately may be interpreted in too many ways. I decline to comment on FAKE or REAL ? However, I find the spacing between the letters to be broader and irregular when compared to the tighter more disciplined cadence shown in the main text. It is unclear whether the calligrapher of the main text even used scribe lines, while the second hand goes up and down on the scribe line to a different drum beat.

I belong to the school that regards vellum as a higher quality skin and parchment as cruder with no distinction as to source of the skin.

To put this in perspective, Wolfgang Undorf is the First Librarian of the Kungliga Biblioteket, Stockholm. He allowed me with bare fingers to touch a pliable vellum fragment of a Gutenberg Bible folio. Only 13 copies were printed on vellum

But the punch line is.......the fragment was DONKEY......Doug.