Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsche Reichsbahn ausweis

Article about: Hi, This is a regular dienstausweis, one of many that came out during the war, for non-Germans. What is new for me si that they did not add, deliberately, a photo of the holder, was this don

Default Deutsche Reichsbahn ausweis

Hi,

This is a regular dienstausweis, one of many that came out during the war, for non-Germans.

What is new for me si that they did not add, deliberately, a photo of the holder, was this done so for special reason? and the address on the back, if I am right, was it Buchenwald KZ?

Thanks,
    Neil.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Reichsbahn ausweis   Deutsche Reichsbahn ausweis  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Reichsbahn ausweis
    P
    Many

Default Re: Deutsche Reichsbahn ausweis

I can't quite make sense of the Buchenwald connection.

Mr. Raykowski was a Polish national employed as a laborer/worker [= Arbeiter] at the National Railways Repair Facility [= Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk] at Danzig. The entries and seals are all from Danzig and a camp at Danzig [Dzg. (= Danzig) Lager] is also given as his billeting followed by the Buchenwald entry after the slash. The Buchenwald camp was near Weimar in Thuringia, which is nowhere near Danzig. (It's some 750 - 800 road kilometers away)

His Polish hometown was Czemlewo [= Schemlau] in the county Dąbrowa Chełmińska [Kreis Kulmischdamerau; here abbreviated as "Krs. Kulm."]

Hi again,

Yes, you are right about the Buchenwald issue here. I don't think there is a dirrect line from Danzig to Buchenwald, maybe he was working on the train going on that line...? a puzzle.
    I find it interesting the late war usage of this ausweis.

Neil.

Would "M.32..." be for "Military 32. K.Nr9067"?

Quote by huddyhuddy View Post
    I don't think there is a dirrect line from Danzig to Buchenwald, maybe he was working on the train going on that line...?
    No; being employed at a repair facility, he would have worked on locomotives and railway coaches taken there for maintenance or repairs, but did not belong to the crew of any particular train or line.

By the way: Searching online for any further data on the subject, I found that the Buchenwald camp did indeed have a satellite camp at a Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk. This, however, was located at Schwerte in Northrine-Westfalia, which is even further away from Danzig than Weimar/Buchenwald itself. (some 1,000 kilometers) ( see KZ Schwerte and KZ Buchenwald - Auenlager Schwerte-Ost )

Whether this is just a coincidence, or if there is any sort of connection to the "Buchenwald" entry on the document is up to speculation.

Quote by huddyhuddy View Post
    Would "M.32..." be for "Military 32. K.Nr9067"?
    Sorry, I really have no idea what the abbreviations stand for.

Thank you. Very rich info.

Danke!