Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dose lamanating documents decrease there value ?

Article about: Hi, I'm new here and am an avid collector of German WWII photographs, my question is i have put all of my photos in plastic sleeves and have then sealed them lightly with tape. will this dam

?

Default Dose lamanating documents decrease there value ?

Just wondring if it would decreases value would you buy lamanated documents

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dose lamanating documents decrease there value ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dose lamanating documents decrease there value ?

Documents value would be worth Less than the same Documents not !! Laminated. You do see these Turn up now and then, Guess some of the Older Guys/Vets(?) used this technique to preserve them in the past. Yes I would buy them if they were Original and from units I collect

?

Quote by banksy View Post
    Just wondring if it would decreases value would you buy lamanated documents
    In my opinion it absolutely decreases the value and I would never buy any. There is no point ruining documents by laminating them. You will find it very hard to resell them and it serves no purpose whatsoever, not even to preserve them. There are many other alternatives to preservation without resorting to this drastic measure. It will be nigh on impossible to remove the docs from the laminate with damaging them and if the laminating process goes wrong then it will look terrible and there's nothing you can do about it.
    There was a thread recently in the Decorations forum which had laminated docs as part of a group, you can see it here.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

As Adrian mentions, laminating just isn't worth it and doesn't preserve the documents as the process heat seals the pocket liner into the fibres of the document so if you tried to re-open the pocket and remove the document you would end up pulling the document apart. And it definitely reduces the value, and in my eyes it would have to be one hell of a rare document for me to even think about going for it, and even then I probably wouldn't but as with everything in the collecting world whether you would buy it or not is all down to personal preference. If you want to preserve your documents try the folders & sleeves at this link... Photo Albums, CD albums, DVD albums - Arrowfile protects, organises and presents & memories ...which aims at the collecting market so the sleeves are acid free etc. If you wish to display your paprwork then why not make high quality printouts of them, laminate the printouts and then keep the original items safe and sound in the folder, a safe or wherever you wish to store them?
    Last edited by hucks216; 03-24-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Guess its all down to Individual preference if you were to buy these. Think the OP might be referring to Documents he has bean Offered(?) I'm sure we have all seen Doc Groups, and Photo albums Glued together I'm sure Many people when Laminating these Documents years Ago. Thought they were helping Preserve these documents. Cant see many reason this would be Done in today's day and age.

( Shudder ! ) I would not buy laminated documents either,
    unless they were extremely rare, and I think it ruins
    the value drastically - as 'Hucks216' says,
    plastic sleeves are the way to go.
    Regards,

Steve.

[QUOTE=Adrian;259428]In my opinion it absolutely decreases the value and I would never buy any. There is no point ruining documents by laminating them. You will find it very hard to resell them and it serves no purpose whatsoever, not even to preserve them.[QUOTE].....

Banksy, as Adrian has stated....a no no !
    Prost ! Steve.

hi i laminated a number of vintage scottish banknotes and put them in a frame for my brother i put them in cut down clear file pockets then laminated them it was for his birthday 10 years ago we decided to sell the banknotes recently so cut the laminate open and the notes came out perfect i tested it on a low grade note first before i sealed them in but did not know if they would come out ok after 10 years luckily they did as they are to help pay for a holiday to portsmouth to visit our late fathers brother my favorite uncle he served 16years in the royal navy be good to see him again but i agree with the others i would not laminate documents i think we were lucky as the years do make it harder to get them out kind regards duncan

Medals 1966, at least you put them in separate sleeves BEFORE laminating
    the lot. This would mean the plastic coating would not adhere to the
    notes themselves, which would have destroyed them.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

hi walkwolf that was my plan but we did sweat a bit getting them out their were about 20 notes from the national bank of scotland and the commercial bank of scotland if any one is going to laminate any documents it is the way i would recommend they do it then at least they can get the documents back out intact i must admit the notes came back out cleaner than when they went in but you have to peel the laminate open very slowly and carfully kind regards duncan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast