Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!

Article about: Guys, This soldier lost his leg due to shrapnell injuries. Not the norm to be in uniform and its not a second issue? It has his full discharge papers, they love their stamps don't they! He g

Default Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!

Guys,

This soldier lost his leg due to shrapnell injuries.

Not the norm to be in uniform and its not a second issue?

It has his full discharge papers, they love their stamps don't they!

He got the wound badge silver and EK 2.

The cover has been de-nazified at some point then re-nazified by removal of sticker(not by me).

Regards

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!   Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!  

Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!   Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!  

Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!   Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Early Werhpass Edo Ahriens IR 16 early casualty too!

I'd imagine that he is in uniform in the photo as he was already serving in the Wehrmacht at around the time they issued his wehrpass. Page 1 will show date of issue.

?

Another nice find Jock
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hucks,

Spot on he enlisted 1935 but the pass was issued 1937.

Jock

He would of received the EK II & Silver Wound Badge due to the extent of his injuries. If his citations exist somewhere I'd expect the EK II one to be issued and signed by the General in command of the relevant Wehrkreis rather than from his unit.

Right; loss of a limb instantly qualified for the Wound Badge in Silver even if it was the first wound suffered. By the way, it is interesting to note that he did not lose his leg right away.

The entry on his wounds reads:

"Granatsplitterverletzung an bd. [= beiden] Händen mit Verlust zweier Finger lks. [= links] u. [= und] Fraktur des lk. [= linken] Unterschenkels."

...meaning:

"Shrapnel injury to both hands with loss of two fingers on the left and fracture of the left lower thigh."

Added below, in a different handwriting and a different pen it says:

"Amputation des linken Oberschenkels"

...meaning:

"Amputation of the left upper thigh"

So, initially, his left leg was broken below the knee and subsequently amputated above the knee. Perhaps he had suffered gangrene or other complications. Something nasty for sure.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 09-07-2010 at 06:08 AM.

HPL,

As ever thanks for the detail. It is on its own I'm afriad no citations, I'm sure with the extent of his injuries he would have taken little comfort from a bit of tomback and iron. I suspect this survived as I believe they used the Werhpass's post war to help with claims for pension?

Jock
    Last edited by jock auld; 09-07-2010 at 03:47 PM.

?

Yup hock was def. correct too. The first entry was from 1935 so he was already in the wehrmacht. Thats a nice wehrpass. I can honestly say i have never heard the name Edo either. Its always nice to have HPL here to allow the full story to be presented of anything in the German language....makes documents and such all the more interesting. good find with the discharge papers too!