Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feldpost: July 1941

Article about: The second of three feldpost letters that I received this morning. I've been able to work out very little about this one, and bought it only because of the date. The soldier signed it on the

Default Friesch to Klara: July 1941

The second of three feldpost letters that I received this morning.

I've been able to work out very little about this one, and bought it only because of the date. The soldier signed it on the 10th of July 1941, the date of my birthday. It's also addressed to the same woman - Klara Hackh - as two other letters that I've now purchased, and another that I'm currently bidding on. My hope is that through those four letters, I will be able to track the personal history of this soldier at different stages of the war.
    Of course, my language and handwriting-deciphering skills are not up to par, and I'll require assistance. I hope you're all as excited as I am to find out what stories these letters will tell.

The letter is formatted in a rather strange way, being written on an A4 sheet of paper that has been folded four times. I've uploaded the photos in what I believe is the correct order, but can't be certain without being able to read the content.

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost: July 1941   Feldpost: July 1941  

Feldpost: July 1941   Feldpost: July 1941  

Feldpost: July 1941   Feldpost: July 1941  

Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 08-05-2017 at 01:21 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost: July 1941
    P
    Many

Am planning on starting a mini archive of these, with the original letters stored/displayed with their translations. Over time, I hope to create a 'collage' of sorts, detailing the human experiences of the men who were there.
    A much more personal take on the conflict, and something that better highlights the tragedy behind the massive death tolls.

B.B.

?

For now I keep my Feldpost in a folder. Each letter separate with the name and unit of the soldier and the date it was written. For now this way of storing them works for me till I find something better.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost: July 1941  

I already had a folder for banknotes, which happens to fit feldpost letters just as well. I've printed off the first translation, holepunched it and clipped it in above the letters. As soon as I can figure out a way, I'll be numbering each translation to the relevant pocket.
    Really hoping I can get these translated here. Although I can't help but feel guilty continuously asking for assistance.

B.B.

Arrowfile have different index systems that might be useful, including this simple index card...
    Find Your Prints With This Quick Find Index For Binder Albums

This letter was sent by Unteroffizier [Corporal] R. Friesch to Mrs. Klara Häckhl of Stuttgart. Apparently the letter was forwarded to the Gasthof Adler [Adler Inn]* in Großholzleute in the Allgäu.

This is another rather interesting letter. Our man tries to appear both tough and brave as well as soft and sensitive... Here's what it says:

"10 July 41.

Dear Mrs. Häckh!

Greeting you from a Polish country road close to the Stalin Line while waiting to march on is the newly-promoted
    Unteroffizier R. Friesch. The first serious assignment was exactly what was needed to give my superiors the impression that behind the silent "old man" - my nickname in the company - there might just be more than a tired human being bowing to fate. My baptism of fire is now behind me and, as I had expected, I went through it ice-cold and calm. However, I got injured by a detonating mine, as were another eight comrades, two dead and one seriously injured. Wounded in the chest and leg, I got myself bandaged and moved on with clenched teeth. That made an impression, and within three days, my promotion had been announced. On the one hand, I am proud of it; on the other hand, I am indifferent to it. I already know that I have above-average courage; I do not need anybody to confirm to this to me. Therefore, I can safely confess that I don't give much thought to the war during the long, arduous marches in the humid July air, barely alleviated by brief showers and thunderstorms. My dreams are so peace-like and so full of longing for those dear to me that I would rather lay down arms today than tomorrow to have a chat with them. Some three days ago, I dreamt of you. We were riding in a Russian troica over a cobblestone street and you were telling me about the hard time you had when your brother and your mother were sick and you were burdened with everyone's sorrow. Simultaneously embarassed and shocked, I remained silent, for I realized that so far I had sought and found comfort from you, completely missing the fact that you, too, had a life full of sorrow behind and before you. So, please accept this sudden realization of your heroic attitude as a heartfelt thanks for your understanding and kind nature as well. I will never forget it.
    Now I greet you and your loved ones from the edge of the civilized world. It is a land of follies, of cruelties right down to Sadism, a land of poverty and illness, this Russian-Poland. What will Russia be like? Probably not a whole lot better! If only I had never seen those countries. Dostoyewsky was wrong: Culture comes from the West and not from the East.

Farewell!

Your
    Friesch.

Particularly heartfelt greetings to your two children. I would enjoy meeting them again one day in Stuttgart.
    "

*) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastho...3%9Fholzleute)
    Last edited by CARL; 08-08-2017 at 11:40 PM.

These feldpost letters really are a hidden gem in the world of militaria, and an inexpensive one at that. I have four other letters inbound from this same man. I look forward to expanding on his story, as I hope everyone here does too.
    Friesch, and others like him, deserve to be remembered where they would otherwise be forgotten. I intend to do so, and will pass on these snippets of their stories to whoever inherits my collection.
    Thank you again, Andreas. Your help is invaluable.

B.B.

That's a special letter B.B., you have a great record of what this soldier was experiencing first hand. I wonder if the poor guy survived? You need to do some research B.B. Thanks for making all of this much more meaningful, Andreas.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    That's a special letter B.B., you have a great record of what this soldier was experiencing first hand. I wonder if the poor guy survived? You need to do some research B.B. Thanks for making all of this much more meaningful, Andreas.

Jay
    I have four other letters on the way addressed to the same woman, also written by him. The latest is dated October 1944, by which point Herr Friesch has risen to the rank of Leutnant!
    Even more excited for them now. We may find out his fate after all.

B.B.

Fascinating perspective from those voices forever stilled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast