Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feldpost letters

Article about: And the third one: "My very dear, sweet Leny! Your very dear Daddy sends to you and our Rolf-Rainer very dear greetings and ardent kisses! I have safely arrived back here. The weather i

Default Feldpost letters

Hello!

Came across a bunch of feldpost letters at an antique booth in central NY. They were 2 bucks a piece, and the guy had a whole pile of them. Tried to find all the ones I could that were written by the same soldier to his girlfriend (?) named Leuy Leur (?)

I only have 2 semesters of German, and struggle with these. I'll upload scans when I get back to Albany, but this is what I have for now.

Any ideas on the stamps and stuff? I know very little about collecting letters.

Feldpost lettersFeldpost letters
    Feldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost lettersFeldpost letters

Thanks!

JW

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost letters
    P
    Many

Nice items!

His girlfriends surname appears to be Leuz.

He seems to have moved around Germany a bit!

That first one is interesting to me as its post marked Landau, Pfalz where I spent 3 weeks on a school exchange woth my penfriend!

Nick

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Nice items!

His girlfriends surname appears to be Leuz.

He seems to have moved around Germany a bit!

That first one is interesting to me as its post marked Landau, Pfalz where I spent 3 weeks on a school exchange woth my penfriend!

Nick

Nick

Neat! I'll upload better scans when I get back home, and I'll take a shot at what they might say.

The addressee's name is Leny Lenz, actually.

At first I had the impression that she was the sender's daughter - he refers to himself as her Pappi (daddy) - but from the general tone and contents, this appears to be more of a nickname/term of endearmant.

Reference is also made to a boy named Rolf-Rainer; clearly the soldier's son.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The addressee's name is Leny Lenz, actually.

At first I had the impression that she was the sender's daughter - he refers to himself as her Pappi (daddy) - but from the general tone and contents, this appears to be more of a nickname/term of endearmant.

Reference is also made to a boy named Rolf-Rainer; clearly the soldier's son.
    Andreas, I knew you would come along with some correcting ink !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Rolf-Rainer Lenz

Googled Rolf-Rainer Lenz and a gentleman came up. I wonder if these were his parents letters? He seems to be in his 50s or older. I'll try to contact him.

Quote by JamesWatson View Post
    Googled Rolf-Rainer Lenz and a gentleman came up. I wonder if these were his parents letters? He seems to be in his 50s or older. I'll try to contact him.
    I see you have already made an entry on the IPA Dortmund's site with the webmaster confirming that he will forward your inquiry to Mr. Lenz [ Gästebuch/Guestbook ]. Do keep us posted if this really the right man!

It certainly seems possible. This 2011 publication...:

http://www.do-stadtmagazine.de/downl...IH-01-2011.pdf

...has a photo of him on page 7 (far left in the group shot) and mentions that he is the retired former head of the Dortmund Criminal Police. If he was a child in 1943, he would have to be at least 68 years of age at the time. That could be about right. Also, Dortmund is some 70 kilometers from the last address on your wartime letters (Krefeld), so the region matches, too.

Meanwhile, here's what the letters say. First one:

"Pentecost, 1943.

You, my very dear, sweet Leny!

Your very dear Daddy sends to you and our Rolf-Rainer the dearest and most heartfelt greetings for Pentecost and very dear, ardent kisses! Yes, my darling, how will you spend Pentecost? Hopefully well! Around here, one cannot even tell that it is Pentecost. Not even the mail has arrived; it makes me puke. Hopefully, you have received all of my mail and the parcels. I have bought something for you again: girdles from rubber, like summer girdles; around here, I can also get you the large rubber girdles and stockings as well. It's just that everything is so expensive and hopefully, everything will arrive. I wonder when we will get mail around here again. I wonder how you and our sweet boy are? Enclosed, I am sending you two allowance stamps; we were given those here. If you can, do send me a few cigarettes; I am always very short for those around here. It's best if you keep sending them to me as small parcels.

Now, very dear, ardent kisses from your very dear Daddy!

Very dear, ardent kisses to Rolf-Rainer!
    "

Second one:

"24 June 43.

You, my very dear, sweet Leny!

Your very dear Daddy sends to you and our sweet Rolf-Rainer very dear, ardent kisses! Oh, I wonder how our boy is doing. Hopefully, nothing has happened in the air raid.* One of the men from our battalion has already got a telegram. So far, I didn't; so I assume that everything is alright. My darling, if anything does happen, do send me a telegram right away; it has to be confirmed by the garrison headquarters. Then I will come right away. Yes, one lives in the purest fear for you at home. I will have a man on leave take this letter and the two parcels with him. I still haven't gotten mail yet; it has to be about 4 weeks now since I last received mail; that is terrible. One does not know how things are back home. I wonder whether you have always got the mail from me?

Very dear, ardent kisses from your Daddy!

Very dear kisses to Rolf-Rainer!
    "

*) "Großangriff" in the original letter. Literally, this means "large scale attack", "major offensive" etc.; but from the context, a major air raid is the likelier meaning.

Tugs at the heartstrings doesn't it ?

Thanks for bringing those letters to life for non German speakers Andreas !

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast