Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Feldpost: September 1944

Article about: Hello folks. Another one I need assistance in translating, and the last individual piece of feldpost I currently have. Expecting a few more letters to arrive in the next couple of days, all

Default Feldpost: September 1944

Hello folks.

Another one I need assistance in translating, and the last individual piece of feldpost I currently have. Expecting a few more letters to arrive in the next couple of days, all five written by the same soldier and addressed to the same woman.
    I hate to beg for help, but my grasp of German is poor, my ability to decipher period handwriting even worse. I struggled with the handwriting in my great grandfather's certificate of service. With these letters, it's a shame. So much history hidden behind a barrier that I've thus far been unable to defeat.

In regards to the letter itself, the reverse of the envelope appears to have the soldier's information written across the top of the flap. My attempt at a basic deciphering follows:

The first three letters appear to be 'Gfr.' An abbreviation of his rank of Gefreiter? Followed by a long word and another abbreviation that I can't make out. Something about him being in the '2./ Art Rgt;' presumably Artillery?
    Next to the circled number 4, what appears to be the word 'Groß'. Wondering if it's a reference to the Panzer-Grenadier-Division Großdeutschland?
    The ink stamping has unfortunately been damaged, apparently where a postage stamp was removed from the envelope. It appears to read 'Jastrow.' There are no other ink stamps to speak of.
    The letter appears to be addressed to the soldier's whole family, rather than a mother or other single relative. As for the bulk of the text, I do not know where even to begin. I can make out the odd word, but the context of what's written is entirely lost on me.

I have tried, and I have failed. I hope that the ever-knowledgeable folks here can help me transcribe this letter's contents. As always, I will be massively appreciative.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost: September 1944   Feldpost: September 1944  

Feldpost: September 1944   Feldpost: September 1944  

Feldpost: September 1944   Feldpost: September 1944  

Feldpost: September 1944  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost: September 1944
    P
    Many

?

I'm not really a great help here, but what I can see is that the letter is written to Familie Dr. Kurt Ehrhardt in Weinsberg, Kreis Heilbron.
    It's written by a Gefreiter Fritz (sorry can't read the lastname) from 2. Batterie Artillerie Lehr-Regiment (mot.) 3.
    The letter itself is a lot harder to read, I only manage to read fractions of it because of the handwriting.

Regards, Rik

Suppose that's the problem with these letters. Individuals back then, like those today, have various degrees of neatness in their handwriting. I'd hate to give a non-English speaker the task of deciphering my own handwriting in seventy years time, for example.

B.B.

Another rather interesting letter, as this - apparently quite young - man had a strong and rather sarcastic sense of humor and enjoyed his innuendos and pop-culture references.

The letter was sent by Gefreiter Fritz Assenheimer of the 2./Artillerie-Lehr-Regiment (mot) 2 [2nd Battery, Artillery Training Regiment (motorized) no. 2], then at the Westfalenhof military installation in the Groß-Born [now Borne Sulinowo] training grounds in Western Pomerania to Doctor Kurt Ehrhardt and family in Weinsberg in Baden-Württemberg.

Here's what it says:

"Groß-Born, 10 Sept.

Dear Ehrhardt family!

Smile despite woe and a thousand pains! That is the state in which the red thing inside my chest is in. Thus, I will still attempt to cobble together a letter of thanks for your dear words. I have since been relocated to Groß-Born in Pomerania. It is there that I hope to encounter the mischievous, famous football club* on a colorful meadow. I have found the meadow and we are being toyed with. The projected 2 - 3 days have turned into 3 weeks, thus quite a postponement. After that, we were supposed to head west, if, yes, if, the Tommies didn't have such dirty underwear that they are so determined to hang on the Siegfried Line.** Thus, we may well find ourselves back in the east again, true to the song '
    gen Ostland wollen wir reiten'.***

When it comes to culture, I can report the exact opposite to what I wrote in my last letter. I haven't read a newspaper - that 'bridge between the front and the homeland' - for 3 weeks now. However, we have a splendid cinema here, set up in an old, ramshackle garage. They show ancient, nice movies there, for example Karin Hardt as a baby or Marikka Röck in her first attempts at dancing. If I am lucky, I may well see Henny Porten in her first great silent movie next week****. In the evening, around 9 P.M., when the turbulent nightlife begins in Weinsberg, it's taps. Now for a sad chapter, sad because it is about love as such. We are prohibited from going to the neighboring villages, just because nearby countless "papilionaceous flowers" of fresh-as-dew age are gathered together in camps and attract the men like moths to the light. During the day, the girls are planting the furrows, with strong songs on their lips; some have already loved intensely and whispered thousands of words of love, which did not remain without consequences*****; thus, the ban. I don't quite understand that; for love is still a sweet mystery to me. Here, we are just vegetating, and in Halle, we were living. One has to desperately look to find any positive aspects here. One of those is the possibility to escape to a lake situated in - according to the flyers - idyllic surroundings. I extensively went swimming there, thus, in a way, got close to Kristina Söderbaum, who, according to "Immensee" also likes intense "outdoor swimming"!+

By now, the two "adolescents" will also have returned from their well-deserved, unpaid recreational school break holiday in the "Red Coal Scuttle"++, the "land of black earth" or something, surely rejuvenated, strengthened and full of energy in order to continue their intellectual training at school.

Who will now play table tennis, with whom, where and when? I wrote to Kurt. I would like to know where Hahn is fulfilling his duty now.

If you want to write me again, please do so soon, for otherwise we will have moved on and the mail will be hanging in the air again; and cargo-carrying gliders are scarce, after all.

Tough times call for tough hearts, and we act accordingly; on the other hand, as Busch said, he who has sorrow also has liqueur.+++

And so, I will come to an end for today and greet you
    most cordially
    your Fritz

Also, I kindly ask you to forgive me for writing in pencil. I haven't owned a pen in a long time; also this is more 'in-the-field-style'!
    "

*) The term "Football-Club" is written in English in the original text. Apparently a reference to the British army.
    **) A reference to the period song "We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line".
    ***) Meaning "Towards the Eastern Land we want to ride"; a reference to an old folk song of settlers in the east dating back to the 12th century.
    ****) Three popular actresses of yesteryear. Karin Hardt was born in 1910 and started her movie career in 1931, Marika Rökk started out as a revue dancer in the Moulin Rouge in 1924 (at eleven years of age!) and began her movie career in 1930, Henny Porten was a silent movie star who first appeared on film in 1906. The letter writer is clearly being sarcastic here...
    *****) Some nine months later, I presume.
    +) Another popular actress and another pop culture reference: He's referencing a scene in her movie "Immensee" (The scence starts at 12:00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcHsy6jSyQ ). Of course, she was also known as the "Reichswasserleiche" [The Nation's Drowned Body] as no less than three of the tragic characters she portrayed in other movies ended their lives by drowning themselves.
    ++) "Roter Kohlenpott" in the original German. "Kohlenpott" = "coal scuttle" is the nickname for the Ruhr area with its many coal mines.
    +++) A reference to Wilhelm Busch's "Die fromme Helene": "Es ist ein Brauch von alters her: Wer Sorgen hat, hat auch Likör" [It is a time-honored tradition: He who has sorrow also has liqueur"].
    Last edited by HPL2008; 07-31-2017 at 07:44 AM.

As always, I'm massively grateful for this. Thank you! I wish there is more I could do to express my gratitude.
    Reading this really stirs something in me that I can't quite explain. Chiefly, the hammering home that each of these letters represents an individual. A young man like me, born in a different time, but every bit as human. I particularly love his sarcastic sense of humour, a style I'm quite fond of myself.
    I have a few more letters on the way, five from the same man at different points in the war, and two postwar letters sent from a British POW camp. I can't help but feel I've taken advantage of your expertise so far, but I am as grateful as is humanly possible.

Many, many thanks

B.B.