Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

First Class Iron Cross Award Document

Article about: I need to know the value of this and if you can tell me if its real or how to tell if its not. I am looking to purchase this from a private party and want to be sure not to overpay because t

Default First Class Iron Cross Award Document

I need to know the value of this and if you can tell me if its real or how to tell if its not. I am looking to purchase this from a private party and want to be sure not to overpay because the asking price is not cheap. I am a novice collector so I don't know much and do not own any documents prior to possibly purchasing this one. Also I do not want to miss out as this seems like something valuable if it is indeed to SS Walter Smith. So I need help with what its worth, thank you very much for any help.

This is what I am told is says. Can anyone tell me if this is truely what it reads?
    World War II German Luftwaffe Generalfeldmarschall (General) Albert Kesselring Signed Iron Cross First Class Award to Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant Colonel) in the Waffen SS Walter Schmidt.

Original Award Certificate Signed by Luftwaffe Generalfeldmarschall Albert Kesselring in May 1941.

First Class Iron Cross Award Document

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First Class Iron Cross Award Document
    P
    Many

Default Re: First Class Iron Cross Award Document

Taking a closer look I was able to make out the Rank and name which is "Gefreiter Walter Schmidt" Since I know that is a private and low rank for the German army would that suggest this was not for the SS Officer Walter Schmidt as seen on wikipedia - Walter Schmidt (SS officer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ? I am sure there were more then just one Walter Schmidt, is there any way to know which one this certificate was for? I mean the seller is claiming it is the Obersturmbannführer Walter Schmidt, is this possible to be early in his military career or do you think a different Walter Schmidt in the German Army in 1941?

If someone is offering this to you and stating that the Walter Schmidt is the SS one than walk away as he is trying to rip you off. This Gefreiter is not one and the same and belongs to a Bomber Wing (KG-53). At the time of this citation Waffen-SS Schmidt held the rank of SS-Obersturmführer. In the Waffen-SS alone there were at least 13 officers with the name of Walter Schmidt so imagine just how many there were throughout the whole Wehrmacht. it is a very common name.

The citation you show is just to a lowly member of the Luftwaffe. It is signed by Albert Kesselring but his signature is pretty common and the citation is worth around 90-100 Euros.

?

Hucks216 is right. This is certainly NOT Walter Schmidt (SS-Officer, Wiking). As mentioned above he was already "SS-Obersturmführer" in 1941 and his Iron Cross First Class was awarded on 14.09.1941!
    He never served in "1./Kampfgeschwader 53".

?

Very strange one this, trying to pass of a Luftwaffe document as something to do with the SS ,people will stoop to anything it seems to try and increase the sale price !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Very strange one this, trying to pass of a Luftwaffe document as something to do with the SS ,people will stoop to anything it seems to try and increase the sale price !!
    As an aside, this is a good indicator that when it comes to collecting paperwork it is not enough just to know about one particular area but it is important to be able to research across a wide spectrum of different topics even for the common items - order of battles & unit histories, personalities, awards, stamps and so on and so on.