Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Franz Mayer death notice.

Article about: I believe Mr. Mayer was a member of the police engaged in anti partisan activity when he was killed. Perhaps someone can give a translation of the card to get the details. Thanks for looking

Default Franz Mayer death notice.

I believe Mr. Mayer was a member of the police engaged in anti partisan activity when he was killed. Perhaps someone can give a translation of the card to get the details.
    Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Franz Mayer death notice.
    P
    Many

You've pretty much got it correct. It states he was a Polizei Zugwachtmeister and was killed on 13th February 1944 fighting against partisans in the area of Chorosnica in Galicia. However, while it might state partisans/bandits there is just as much chance that what it means is that he was killed (or injured and then died of wounds) while rounding up Jews.

Volksbund has the following details about him:
    He was born on 16th November 1912 in Lengsham and is buried in the war cemetery at Przemysl in Block C, Row 8, Grave 201. He died in Reserve-Lazarett 1 Przemsyl on the date on the death notice.

Thanks hucks! Almost 74 years ago to the day.

Edit--I hadn't thought about the possibility of that. Not something one would want to include in the death notice. Was that actively being done in that area then I wonder?

Yes it was. Chorosnica is very close to Przemsyl and at the time of his death the Germans were clearing out the last Jews from the Przemsyl work camp and discovering Jews in hiding in nearby locations.

"On 28 October 1943 100 more Jews were brought to Szebnie from the Przemysl work camp- they too subsequently were deported to Auschwitz. At the end of February 1944 the final 150 inmates were sent to Stalowa Wola and from there to Auschwitz.
    From October 1943 to April 1944 the Nazis continued to search for Jews in hiding, finding and killing about 1,000. These killings were carried out by the Gestapo, SS and the camp commander Schwammberger.
    The camp was destroyed at the end of February 1944 which should have meant that Przemysl was “Judenfrei.” However, this was not the case around 120 Jews were in hiding in secret “bunkers” within Przemysl and the surrounding area."

(Taken from Przemysl Ghetto www.HolocaustResearchProject.org )

Thank you hucks. I was looking online for some record of the activities going on there at that time. Interesting. I suppose to the Germans, anyone who resisted was a bandit, even though they were resisting genocide.