Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.

Article about: Here are few posters and proclamations that I found recently. These posters were put up at prominant places around the Island for the Civilian population to see. These days they don't turn u

Default German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.

Here are few posters and proclamations that I found recently. These posters were put up at prominant places around the Island for the Civilian population to see. These days they don't turn up too often and as such are much sought after.
    Hope you like them.
    Damien,
    Jersey.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.   German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.   German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.   German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.
    P
    Many

Default Re: German posters and proclamations from Jersey, Channel Islands.

Very nice! I would love to have some notices like these in my collection.

What also makes them appealing is that in most cases they are in German and English, some were in German and French, which at the time we had a large French speaking population. Today the English/German ones are really tough to find....but be aware there are in fact a number of post war made posters that were put together to sell to the many tourists who came here after the Occupation and wanted a German souvenir.
    All the best,
    D.

?

Very interesting and sobering items Damien , the ones announcing the death sentence certainly illustrate the German regime on the islands and the dangers faced by those who stood up to them !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Yes, Francois Scornet was the only person to be shot here during the Occupation by the Germans by firing squad, he was in his early 20's and left in a boat from France with a number of friends trying to get to England. The actually landed in Guernsey thinking it was the Isle of Wight and came ashore singing the French National anthem only to be captured by German soldiers. They were shipped to Jersey, where Scornet very bravely took full responsibility for the escape attempt. The Germans tried him by Court Marshall and sentenced him to death. His fellow escapees were sent off to camps but were not executed. He is remembered every year at St.Ouen's manor where he was shot.
    Damien.

Fascinating pieces of the Islands history ! Really great to see and read

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Guys

Picked this up yesterday, did not pay alot for it but i am hoping its a period example

Paper is quite thin and delicate, and shows ageing

Opinions would be appreciated !!!