Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Info about this picture of my Grandfather

Article about: Hi Frayer, thank you! It is my pleasure to try and help people. I enjoy it. Re our LH group :I do all the parade orders in Russian. I try to learn the language. Now we have two members who a

Default Info about this picture of my Grandfather

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Found some old photos of my grandfather and want to know as much as possible about this photo.

I can't ask my grandfather about it, because he died when I was a young boy. He never talked much about WWII, but I'm very interested in his history.

So please, any information you can get from this photo would help me alot.

What I can read on the backside of the photo it says "Auf der Krim im Mai 1943". Is that right ?

Thanks in advance

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	131092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	131093  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Info about this picture

Hi Martin, your translation looks correct to me.

He was a member of the Heer (Army) and was a junior NCO. He wears the ribbon for the Eastern Front medal or more correctly Winterschlacht Im Osten .

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for your answer Ade

Is junior NCO an "Unteroffizier ? What does the badge on his left arm means ?

From what I know from my father, my grandfather was a cook in the army, because before the war he was a butcher and he had his own little store.

Martin

?

Hi Martin... Die Krim, or in English.. The Krim (dative case in German... "auf der Krim), just in case you don't know already is... the Crimean peninsula in the Black Sea, and is the southernmost region of the Ukraine.... Cheers... Hansi

Hi Martin, his rank is Gefreiter. The badge on his arm is his rank badge.

A Cook, while not a glamorous role, was an important job in the Army. It would make sense if he was a butcher before the war.

Chers, Ade.

I'm sure that cook was not a glamorous role, but I think that saved his life in WWII. Not many came back from the russian fields.

I will have a look if I will find some more photos.

Martin

Hi Martin, that would be great! Maybe you could get his service records from the German archives?

Cheers, Ade.

?

One could think the sleeve insignia is the chevron for a "Gefreiter" - often given in English as "corporal", but the correspondence is not perfect.
    It is hard to say from the photo, but perhaps his epaulet bears a crosswise single line of tape as the mark of an Unteroffizier-Anwärter / Underofficer-Candidate, or selectee for Unteroffizierschule / Underofficer School.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstgrade_der_Wehrmacht
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_W...s_and_Insignia

"the Crimean peninsula .... is the southernmost region of the Ukraine"
    While currently true (or at least true de jure), the statement is not perfectly neutral in a political-social-historical sense, as some might perhaps dispute the proposition.
    :-)

- Frayer

Hi Frayer, you have good eyes to see that on the shoulder strap: it could be there. Certainly something is there.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade!
    It looks dark (photo/reflection effect?) and not really in the correct location, but it is "some thing".

Anyway, I did also want to say "Thank You!" for all your wonderful answers to questions here - you really are fantastically generous with your time and knowledge. Also your LH group looks amazing good, and in the UK so all the work must be done at a distance from sources, archives, veterans, etc. Do you even teach everyone Russian language ?
    :-)

- Frayer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast