Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Iron Cross First Class Award Certificate

Article about: Hi all, I have looked though the threads on EK award certificates and have a copy of Forman's Guide, so I've seen that the lettering on this one is unlike that found most commonly on these c

Default Iron Cross First Class Award Certificate

Hi all,

I have looked though the threads on EK award certificates and have a copy of Forman's Guide, so I've seen that the lettering on this one is unlike that found most commonly on these certificates, but it does seem to almost match the variant letters on one in Forman's book (1st ed., v.1, top of p84). The paper certainly looks old and the lettering appears to be typed rather than printed on (as on modern repros) - the 'Josef' even goes uphill slightly.
    Opinions please - is it an original?

Many thanks,
    J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Cross First Class Award Certificate   Iron Cross First Class Award Certificate  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross First Class Award Certificate
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Iron Cross First Class Award Certificate

A document for the EK II /EKI should be signed by someone of General rank !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

And yet another case of fakers failing to get their German grammar right: "das Eisernen Kreuz 1. Klasse" instead of the correct "Eiserne"...

Hi Paul,

Ah, was this always the case? There is an example signed by Major (award to an Unteroffizier) and one by an Oberst (award to an Obergefreiter) in Forman's book... I had thought that it just had to be signed by someone of significantly higher rank than the person to which it was being awarded??

Are there any other clear pointers for it being a replica?

thanks!

Quote by Yellow3 View Post
    Hi Paul,

Ah, was this always the case? There is an example signed by Major (award to an Unteroffizier) and one by an Oberst (award to an Obergefreiter) in Forman's book... I had thought that it just had to be signed by someone of significantly higher rank than the person to which it was being awarded??

Are there any other clear pointers for it being a replica?

thanks!
    I think the spelling mistake is conclusive

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well spotted HPL2008. Cheers!

There are exceptions to the rule for the signers of EK citations with the main one that springs to mind being those for paras on Crete in 1941 because the relevant admin trail hadn't been set up on the island that close to the end of the battle, but if an EK was signed by an Oberst then it would be signed on behalf of the divisional commander so would have i.V. above the signature. Not only the spelling is a give-away but so is the stamp - it is for a Luftgaukommando and yet the signer is a regimental commander.

Simon Orchard
    ?

Hucks touches on an important point. It's not the rank of the signing officer that's important, it's level of the issuing authority. ie. an EK could be awarded at divisional level and thus had to be signed by or occasionally on behalf of the divisional commander, but the rank of the commander could, in theory, be anything.

unfortunately TOTALLY fake.

as already pointed out, in accusative case in German, you would see an "e" ending on "eiserne" and not "eN" when it follows a definite article like "das".

this is an incredibly gross error and precludes any possibility of this document being authentic.

Between Paul, Hucks and yourself, I might make a good Docs collector. Just put a new wrinkle in my brain.