Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.

Article about: Hello all. I've seen one other like this before but for a different raider. I know nothing about these and info is hard to come by. Does anyone here have an opinion on this or able to share

Default Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.

Hello all. I've seen one other like this before but for a different raider. I know nothing about these and info is hard to come by. Does anyone here have an opinion on this or able to share any knowledge that they may have on these. Does this look original?
    Thank you very much!

Luke

Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.

And a couple more pictures.
    I really appreciate it.
    Thank you!

Luke

Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.Kormoran Equator Crossing Document.

Bidding ends tomorrow. I think I'll give it a shot.

Luke

On the face of it, I can't see anything wrong with it-it's for crossing the Equator, of course, and becoming one of King Neptune's "Shellbacks". It Looks to be in order, But...a few unusual things about the Kormoran, though. I can find no listing of a crewman by this name, but it May be that this man was not even a crewman but one of the many passengers that ever sailed with this ship. That, and on more than one occasion, sick crewman were transferred Off of the Kormoran and he may possibly have been one of Them also. More worrisome,though, I do not recognize the signature of the signer for "Neptune" either.
    The Kormoran's case is an odd one, with the ship being ultimately scuttled and the crew captured after the sinking of the Australian warship Sydney. While IN Custody, the men of the Kormoran actually Received their awards-including, apparently, Capt Detmer's Knight's Cross. So...what to make of this document? The awardee's name is not familiar and neither is the King Neptune signature. Also, there is no signature from the Captain-it is left Blank, and so is the Day portion of the date. It is only entered as "1941". For a Neptune document, it would certainly be expected to have All of these lines filled in. It was a Very small crew and I cannot see how this information would have been left off of it.
    Bottom line, there is something amiss with this document and I would not feel comfortable having it in my collection. It may well be genuine, but there are too many "why's and should have been's" on it to make a person feel confident about it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

William: Wow! Thank you so much for taking a look at this for me. I too wondered about the lack of Detmer's signature. Though if you look hard enough it almost looks like there could be something there. You have made many good points and observations and I appreciate it immensely. I will not be bidding on it. Right now it's over $300 and I don't think that I'd feel comfortable with this in my collection too.
    Thank you so much, William!

Luke

It just sold for $442.77!
    Thanks again, William.

Luke

William: I just spoke to a guy that I know that was bidding on this. He said that these are post war and that they were given out at Kormoran reunions. He also said that the other ones that he's seen had a facsimile Detmers signature. For some reason this one didn't.
    Thanks!

Luke

Looks like you saved yourself $442 bucks! Good job!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I give you credit for that! Thanks! I would like to still have it but not for that kind of money.

Luke

This was just recently relisted by the same seller on Ebay. I guess the winner bidder didn't pay. This time it sold for $262.37.

Luke