Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Local small coin shop finds, cool bills, I'm RICH!!!

Article about: In the big city yesterday and thinking about stopping in at the Army Surplus store, and I drove right on by, because sadly, they don't have anything old anymore, so it's just mostly a waste

Default Local small coin shop finds, cool bills, I'm RICH!!!

In the big city yesterday and thinking about stopping in at the Army Surplus store, and I drove right on by, because sadly, they don't have anything old anymore, so it's just mostly a waste of time except for the chitchat and watching people streaming in and out, they get some characters in there...

So I stopped in at a small coin shop instead, asked for WWII currency and he started going through a lot of old bills, mostly WWI at first, eventually he found the 50 Reichspfenning notes, Wehrmacht currency I'd never heard of, so I took a gamble and bought some (figured I was getting ripped off, and it would be half as much on the computer...) but the most important is I was getting my WWII fix for the day, and how stinking rare is that anymore, that you can feed the need, just like that?

Also bought a few WWI banknotes, just because they were so beautiful, and maybe even rare and collectible. One I noticed was German on the front, but Polish on the back, Danzig currency?

And then finally I couldn't pass up this FIVE HUNDRED MILLION mark note from 1923, because it was so historical in the context of WWII, the hyperinflation, and wasn't 1923 the year of Hitler's failed Putscht?

A lady came in, wanted to sell a jarful of scrap silver, so I paid for what I had in hand and left.

I will definitely go back and look through his bills again. Really cool, in person finds ;-)

Enjoy, some real beauties.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Local small coin shop finds, cool bills, I'm RICH!!!
    P
    Many

Nice notes. Some Notgeld can be beautiful
    works of art.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice notes. Some Notgeld can be beautiful
    works of art.........
    I agree. Although not a collector of such material, the examples can indeed be quite attractive and finely detailed.

Carl

?

Nice finds... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thx guys. You're right, the back of the NOTGELD is stunning, the underlying Neustad Orla pattern, I only noticed it by blowing up this pic. What is NOTGELD, and Neustad Orla?

To answer my own question (so much to learn...) here's the wiki page, it's good info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notgeld

"Emergency money" - Each State had their own.

Here are some examples :

https://www.google.ca/search?q=notge...FUJ4PgodpukHSQ
    Regards,

Steve.

Got to be fascinated by Notgeld! It was made in a Huge number of varieties and denominations and has some of the most amazing artworks on any currency notes you'll find. As for the 50 Kopeken note in Polish and German, alas..it is not from Danzig, but is WWI German Occupation money for it's Eastern territories. Used mainly in Lithuania it was issued through the East Bank of Posen, Poland.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Larboard View Post
    What is NOTGELD, and Neustad Orla?
    Neustadt an der Orla [= "Neustadt-by-the-Orla"] is a town in Eastern Thuringia.

Germany has dozens of places called Neustadt. To differentiate them, they are referred to with an addendum referring to their geographical location, for example the river by which they are located or their state or region. (for example "Neustadt an der Waldnaab", "Neustadt an der Donau", "Neustadt Brandenburg", "Neustadt bei Coburg" etc. etc.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.