Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

luftwaffe framed portrait

Article about: I had been looking online and searching flea markets for furniture and nik naks while I was stationed in Germany. I ran across an ad on Bookoo that cought my attention. A man had placed an a

werwolf1
    ?

Default luftwaffe framed portrait

I had been looking online and searching flea markets for furniture and nik naks while I was stationed in Germany. I ran across an ad on Bookoo that cought my attention. A man had placed an add that basically said, "My grandmother has passed away and I am selling everything because the house has to be sold." The house was in a little town called Hirshau, not far from where I was. It was a very old house in the historic area of town. The man told me that during the war his grandparents would house and feed German soldiers. He said that one soldier rented a room and stayed to live in the house until 1981 when he passed away. When I stepped into the dinning area, I saw this framed portrait hanging on the wall. He told me it was his great uncle who had been killed while fighting on the eastern front. I paid 10 Euro for it along with a box full of old glassware and table and chairs. Very cool experience. I am curious to know if anyone may be able to tell me anything about this picture. It appears to be in the correct period frame. The back is sealed with brown paper and has the mans name and basic story of what happened to him. The frame is fairly large about 18 x 22 in. The back has the man's name and birthdate. It also says he was wounded in russia and taken to a hospital in Chemnitz where he died and was buried in his home town of Theuern. My translation is rough but from what I was told when the man that sold it to me read it, it sounds about the same. Does anyone know anything about this type of portrait? Is it common? Was it a good find? I think it is a wonderful piece of history. Thanks for looking

luftwaffe framed portraitluftwaffe framed portrait

2. # ADS

Default Re: luftwaffe framed portrait

I'd pay 10 euros all day long, great find!...

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your translation is correct.

These type of hand coloured portrait photographs were popular and are fairly common to find. The nice part is the written details about the man. This makes it much nicer. You did well.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

werwolf1
    ?

The picture hangs on my wall along side of many other paintings I acquired over the years while in Bavaria. My living room is my own little piece of German history. Thank you for your replys and graciousness.

My pleasure and I am glad it has gone to a good home.

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A lovely find, well done!

?

Great photo. Thank you for sharing.

You should take a look at the Framed Photos thread at WAF.

Bryant