Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe Target map of Liverpool/Birkenhead.

Article about: Small target map of the Docks at Seaforth and Birkenhead, Wirral.. Other Targets are indicated in red. I like the Luftwaffe target maps, I missed out on a Luftwaffe navigators yellow target

Quote by NickW View Post
    Investigated the Widnes He III site a few years ago - didn't expect to find much as had been well cleared at the time of the incident: He III - Werke No. 2989, G1+CP, Widnes 12th March 1941 - never seen so much rubbish on a crash site !!! - But interestingly we also found evidence of burnt out German Incendiary bombs that had been dropped on the same area at a different time.

Presently I have loaned items for a temporary exhibition at the Atkinson centre in Southport, mostly covering a Mustang which crashed at Wrightington (including the Merlin engine), but also some history and artefacts on the Liverpool Blitz, including a German flying helmet from the Ju88 that was shot down over the Ribble estuary.
    Very interesting link!...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Target map of Liverpool/Birkenhead.
    P
    Many

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    My boss at work, he lives in Widnes. his brother in law has a luftwaffe flying helmet and the control stick taken from the HE 111 that crashed at Widnes
    Do you have any pictures of the flying helmet and control stick mate?

I'd love to see those

Quote by Panzerheld View Post

I'd love to see those
    Will try and have a word with him this week, he's been on the sick for the past 5 weeks and I have just returned from Malta
    Hopefully I can get something sorted out but don't hold your breath, I have been asking him for ages since he told me !

A friend of me tell me this map was in a book, and I remember these books in the past, now impossible to find them!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by Panzerheld View Post

I'd love to see those
    Here are some items from the plane, not sure what they are...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Target map of Liverpool/Birkenhead.   Luftwaffe Target map of Liverpool/Birkenhead.  

Luftwaffe Target map of Liverpool/Birkenhead.   Luftwaffe Target map of Liverpool/Birkenhead.  

The third and fourth photos are a drum magazine from a MG 15!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The third and fourth photos are a drum magazine from a MG 15!...
    Nice one Gunny, I can see now !

Cheers

The Night Fighter Pilot who took out this Heinkel had an illustrious career it seems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_McNair

What I find interesting is that at the time of this incident, he was part of 249 Squadron, which in May 2 months later was transferred via Aircraft Carrier to Malta, I wonder why he didn't transfer with them ?

Coincidentally, another well know member of 249 Squadron while based at Malta was a Buck McNair from Canada.

Cheers

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    A friend of me tell me this map was in a book, and I remember these books in the past, now impossible to find them!
    Yes, part of the Luftwaffe object karten series for the whole of the U.K.

https://northeastdeepresearchgroup.f...le-1.jpg?w=640

Saw a pile of them for sale from a well know collector years back, hard the find now.

?

Interesting the parts you have are so intact, as the aircraft was pretty much completely destroyed and burned - in fact the A.I report even states how little could be gleaned from the wreckage due to the level of destruction!

The FL50513 is an electric bomb arming device - part of an ETC50 bomb rack I believe - though this seems to have been an externally mounted bomb rack, so may explain its survival and is pretty interesting in itself - whoever took it would have probably been in trouble if the Intelligence team caught them!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast