Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this man wearing a diplomatic corps hat?

Article about: Attached is a foto of SS General Otto Abetz - who was also Ambassador to France. Is that a Diplomatic Corps hat he is wearing? How unusual was it for an SS General to wear a different unifor

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Is this man wearing a diplomatic corps hat?

Attached is a foto of SS General Otto Abetz - who was also Ambassador to France. Is that a Diplomatic Corps hat he is wearing? How unusual was it for an SS General to wear a different uniform? Any opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this man wearing a diplomatic corps hat?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Is this man wearing a diplomatic corps hat?

Hi Bob, yes, that is a Diplomatic Corps uniform and cap.

Not sure how many SS Generals served in different jobs? Butit was not unknown for SS men to be posted to non SS branches of the Armed Forces etc to provide "political Stiffening".

Cheers, Ade.

Harry Morant
    ?

I have noted that there is very little reference to him being in the SS and also that he only held honorary rank. Most information just refers to him as Ambassador Abetz.

An extract: The Fuehrer has expressly ordered that Ambassador Abetz shall alone be responsible for all political questions in occupied and unoccupied France, insofar as his functions concern military interests. Ambassador Abetz shall act only in agreement with the Military Command in France.

(3) Ambassador Abetz will be attached as my delegate to the Military Command in France. His domicile shall continue to be in Paris as hitherto. He will receive from me instructions for the accomplishment of his tasks and will be responsible solely to me. I shall greatly appreciate it if the Supreme Command of the Armed Forces (the O.K.W.) will give the necessary orders to the military agencies concerned as quickly as possible.

(Signed Ribbentrop.)"

Funnily enough one of our politicians (Deputy Liberal Leader of the Senate Eric Abetz) here in Australia is his nephew.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Thanks for the info guys.

DmanofLV
    ?

And for the soldier in general, "Don't win a battle if you don't gain anything by fighting. Battles can be won but are no good if the war is lost". (Phil Rimer)

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

I don't see the connection between what you have just said and the question: "What kind of hat is this man wearing"
    Quote by DmanofLV View Post
    And for the soldier in general, "Don't win a battle if you don't gain anything by fighting. Battles can be won but are no good if the war is lost". (Phil Rimer)

DmanofLV
    ?

Quote by odessa1 View Post
    I don't see the connection between what you have just said and the question: "What kind of hat is this man wearing"
    Odessa 1, I did not ask what kind of hat the man was wearing and I really dont see what connection your comment has "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning" (Erwin Rommel) I'm new on this site as well as yourself and you should try not to be so confrontal with other members.

Harry Morant
    ?

Um DmanofLv.....it Odessa1's signature - its at the bottom of all his posts. You too can set up something similar in your profile.