Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mein Kampf copy with Alfred Rosenberg stamp - opinions?

Article about: Gents, I have recently come across a period copy of Mein Kampf with this interesting stamp in it. I have never seen anything like it before, so was curious what it is and if anyone has come

?

Default Mein Kampf copy with Alfred Rosenberg stamp - opinions?

Gents,

I have recently come across a period copy of Mein Kampf with this interesting stamp in it. I have never seen anything like it before, so was curious what it is and if anyone has come across it before?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Mein Kampf copy with Alfred Rosenberg stamp - opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mein Kampf copy with Alfred Rosenberg stamp - opinions?
    P
    Many

There's far too much unrequired information on the stamp. it's exactly what the fakers always do, a genuine book ruined by a shite attempt at gilding the lily. No way.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Translates to "Alfred Rosenburg donation for the German Army and Waffen SS" - Seems very strange.

"Gilding the lily" I haven't heard that in a while Ned, but definitely fitting here.

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    "Gilding the lily" I haven't heard that in a while Ned, but definitely fitting here.
    It has it's origins in Shakespeare IIRC from school. I actually thought about whether to use that phrase or "over egging the pudding", which means the same thing, but may be a little too obtuse for non British members.....And even some of them too these days I guess.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

come now Ned that book is hardly a lily.lol

?

Thanks for your opinions on this one. As I've said earlier I have never seen anything like it before.

I find it curious that someone would go to such lengths given that it likely wouldn't add much to the value of the book.

It's a pity to think that a nice period copy would be ruined like that by someone trying to squeeze out a few extra bucks for it.

JMM
    ?

I agree 100% with Ned - too much info on the stamp. (Rosenberg / MK / Wehrmacht / Waffen SS!!.. Why wouldn't he stamp his own book?). Besides the stamp is too "crowdy" - not a very "clean" job. Very sad to ruin an original period copy
    Last edited by JMM; 05-02-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Most copies of Mein Kampf are 10 a penny, this is a poor attempt to sex it up and make the unwary part with their cash!...

Quote by JMM View Post
    I agree 100% with Ned - too much info on the stamp. (Rosenberg / MK / Wehrmacht / Waffen SS!!.. Why wouldn't he stamp his own book?). Besides the stamp is too "crowdy" - not a very "clean" job. Very sad to ruin na original period copy
    To be honest, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the item right away.

The text translates as "Alfred-Rosenberg-Donation for the German Armed Forces and the Waffen-SS. Gau Lower Silesia 1942/43.

The Alfred-Rosenberg-Spende was a massive nationwide book drive organized by the Kriegswinterhilfswerk following a public appeal by Rosenberg. It was undertaken with operational support by the NSF and the NSLB.

Its purpose was to collect donated books and to distribute them to deployed members of the armed forces. It was a resounding success, with more than 8,500,000 books collected by 1940 and more than 15,000,000 by the spring of 1941.

Maybe the stamp is fake, maybe not, but the fact that this book drive did exist and that it is not the kind of common knowledge the typical faker can be expected to possess, combined with the fact that this is not the kind of stamp that would raise a book's value are, in my opinion, good signs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast