MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nazi Cigarette Cards???

Article about: If you peruse the link I posted earlier, you will understand the initial point I was making with my original post - that yellowing can happen naturally and is not always due to artificial ag

Default Nazi Cigarette Cards???

I recently got these cards while traveling abroad in Turkey. I have no idea what they are. I have never seen these types cards before and the paper on the back is yellowing. On the rear of each card it says "Postkarte. Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer". I know that Turkey was not involved in World War 2 but I do know that the Germans signed a non-aggression pact with the Turks four days before they invaded the Soviet Union. If anyone has any information on these I would love the help!
    Thaddeus Nazi Cigarette Cards???[/ATTACH]Nazi Cigarette Cards???Nazi Cigarette Cards???Nazi Cigarette Cards???Nazi Cigarette Cards???Nazi Cigarette Cards???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nazi Cigarette Cards???
    P
    Many

These are modern fakes sorry. They are copies of posters and these were never made as cigarrette cards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" translates roughly to, One people, One nation, One leader. As stated by Ade in the prior post, these are post-war fantasy items. The yellowing is due to artificial aging.

?

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    The yellowing is due to artificial aging.
    "Yellowing" can happen naturally and very quickly. It is not always due to artificial aging but generally down to the poor quality of paper used - think how fast a modern newspaper turns yellow-brown. A thread below addresses the condition briefly.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/photos...-items-165246/

Regards,

Carl

p.s. You are quite right, the above cards are indeed modern pieces - and clearly made of low grade paper :-)

"Yellowing" can happen naturally and very quickly. It is not always due to artificial aging but generally down to the poor quality of paper used - think how fast a modern newspaper turns yellow-brown. A thread below addresses the condition briefly."

I completely agree with you statement, however, with the item in question, I believe it to been done artificially. Note the "yellow" bordering which is what I assume he was referencing to. Doesn't appear to have been caused due to time IMO.
    Nazi Cigarette Cards???

?

Indeed, it hasn't been caused by time - the earlier post states why these pieces are yellow. The poor quality of the paper, as explained in the link provided, is the reason for the colouration.

"The poor quality of the paper, as explained in the link provided, is the reason for the colouration." - Carl

Question, if that is so, why does the borders tone appear to be darker? My theory was these were copied from a poster, such as Ade pointed out, and as a result of that, it created the borders and a artificial aged 'look'. Therefore, it wouldn't be a cause of time, nor because of the type of paper, yet the fakers choice in item and ink. Incorrect analyzes?, thanks

Nazi Cigarette Cards???

Look how white the paper is on this one, yet the tone of the bordering is the same as the others, insinuating it had just as much exposer as the rest. Why would this one still be this white, yet the borders have the same tone, if the cause of the discoloration was due to the papers oxidation?

?

The term "artificial aging" implies the use of methods - such as tea stains, matches or damp/dirty conditions, to affect the appearance of a piece. The owner Thaddeus has stated that the reverse of the cards appears yellow - not just the front edges that you highlighted earlier. Yes, they are clearly made from copies of the original posters, but the paper quality is poor, hence the yellow colouration that is present on both sides. No serious attempt at aging these pieces has taken place.

Regards,

Carl

"The owner Thaddeus has stated that the reverse of the cards appears yellow - not just the front edges that you highlighted earlier."

Indeed he has, and I can see that in the images, but there are examples posted that have the same color boards, same color backs, yet the front is much whiter, so IMO, it can't be due to the oxidation of the paper, yet to the choice of ink. I may be wrong however.

Artificial - made or produced by human beings rather than occurring natural

I think this is just a misconception between us of the definition artificial. To me, the word means being produced by a human rather than natural occurrence, thus, a human using certain colors and items to make something appear old would, IMO, be artificially aging a item.

* The backs tone seems to match the borders perfectly, yet the center seems much lighter in color. Just don't see how oxidation could choice to only oxidized the back and borders, and so perfectly even as well?

To reiterate my opinion, it is of by belief that the color of the paper is not the cause of oxidation, nor the choice of paper, yet the fakers choice in ink and item in which he copied. I believe this due to certain examples being whiter than others, yet the boards and back are identical in tone. Is that incorrect? I ask as I know you have much experience with paper and I do not, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast