Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

neuremberg hangings

Article about: I have original photos of all the nazis after they had been hung and was ondering what something like this would be worth or if someone would be interested in this collection. I did some res

?

Default Re: neuremberg hangings

ok here are the photos and the backs as promised. the photos are a little bit out of order but 1a goes with 2a, 3a goes with 4a, etc.... I also had to shrink images down to fit the size of attachments allowed. taken them down and will repost later
    Last edited by bb3310; 01-13-2012 at 09:32 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement neuremberg hangings
    P
    Many

?

Very interesting set it's a pity that nothing is known on who has anotated the rear with all the information re the defendants / deceased or is there , have you any provenance with these photos ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

interesting photos and information theres just a few things i noticed the first the pictures look like they have been cropped at some time as there is white around the edges on the corners.
    the other is the writing has many dissimilarities in the writting sometimes the writer uses indents others not so the style of writing etc i know that writing changes over years but surely if the writting was all done there and then it could have only been around a week...........
    any ideas anyone

The flowery, dramatic descriptions given by the author of each of the men in these photo's is certainly not in keeping with a military report of any description I can think of. IF genuine to the period, I can almost smell the inky fingers of a journalist, perhaps what we call today 'tabloid', who wrote them down for future reference regarding an article that they were to write.

Then again, they may have been annotated by someone long afterwards, who copied the descriptions from a newspaper or magazine....Whatever, the fact is that the photo's are more desirable to an unsuspecting collector should they be put up for sale. Perhaps a black light test may help a little towards ensuring they are period printed?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

hi,
    very interesting post, iv not seen these photo,s before thanks for showing.
    dave.

Grim photos! What happened to Keitel's and Fricks faces?? Looks like they were given a beating

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Grim photos! What happened to Keitel's and Fricks faces?? Looks like they were given a beating

Nick
    Nick, have a read of the words on the image in post #1.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Nick, have a read of the words on the image in post #1.
    Oh my God

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

talltom the photos were cropped when I scanned them and had to resize them to make them fit to the size requirments to post them on here. as far as the writing on the back, doing some research I found that they were taken by a photo journalist with the US Army. Here is a link to the only info I could find about the photos:
    Executions at Nuremberg « Iconic Photos

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post

Nick
    It has been alledged that the executioner of these men, M/S John C. Woods, who hanged a total of 347 people, both during and after the war, allied and enemy, deliberately left the rope for the drop to short on all of the above executions. Furthermore, he also intentionally made the trap too small so that the condemned would smash their faces on the edge of the drop as they were hanged.

Whatever the truth, the executions were botched, the condemned taking between 10 minutes to 25 minutes in the case of Keitel to basically strangle. Streicher was heard groaning for several minutes before executioner Woods went behind the curtain concealing the drop, whereupon the noises quickly stopped. It is assumed he pulled down on the mans legs to kill him quickly, as by this time witnesses were showing visible signs of concern and distress at the whole proceedings.

The British executioner Albert Pierrepoint, aware of the problems encountered by these executions, a.) the time it took to conduct each execution (11 minutes was allocated for each one), and b.) the number to be done each day, was extremely stressful and prolonged to the witnesses present. He and the officers in charge, after consultation, agreed that immeadiately after the trap opened, the condemned prisoner was administered a lethal injection directly into the heart or via the arm, that caused death within a few seconds.

This procedure was later used by the Americans too, as was the fitting of a heart monitor to the prisoner prior to execution.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast