Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

P.o.w. Camp money

Article about: Hi What do you think of this camp money, was this type of note used as much as a currency compared to cigarettes. I,ve tried to get some information on it but there's not much out there.What

Default P.o.w. Camp money

Hi
    What do you think of this camp money, was this type of note used as much as a currency compared to cigarettes. I,ve tried to get some information on it but there's not much out there.What do you think of the one shown?.

Thanks for any Replies. MartinP.o.w. Camp moneyP.o.w. Camp money

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement P.o.w. Camp money
    P
    Many

Default Re: P.o.w. Camp money

As far as I know Officers and Enlisted-men received different amounts of Kriegsgefangenen Lagergeld. They were to be used in Camp Canteen's. They are quite common because in WW2 all POW camps had the same notes, instead of the different notes printed for each POW camp in WW1. Also I have found that WW2 Italian POW camp bank notes seem to be far harder to find than German ones.

There were quite a few different denominations: 1, 10 and 50 pfennig notes and 1, 2, 5 and 10 mark notes

The writing on the front reads:

"This coupon is valid only for payment for POWS and may only be used by them inside the POW camps or on work details, spent and taken in the expressly designated points of sale. The exchange of this coupon into legal tender can only take place at a designated camp office. Contraventions, imitations and forgeries will be punished"

"Chief of the High Command of the Wehrmacht."