Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Paper Stamp Identification and opinion

Article about: Hello Is this stamp a original WW2 era stamp? It is on a WW2 Medal envelope. What is it for? Is it proper to be stamped on a Medal award envelope? Thank you..

Default Paper Stamp Identification and opinion

Hello

Is this stamp a original WW2 era stamp? It is on a WW2 Medal envelope. What is it for? Is it proper to be stamped on a Medal award envelope?
    Thank you..
    Paper Stamp Identification and opinion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paper Stamp Identification and opinion
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

IMHO...these should not have a stamp. I've personally never seen one.

Is the eagles head facing the wrong way?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Does the stamp look OK? Period WW2?
    I am not sure why it would be on the envelope, but who knows...

Almost certainly a fake stamp added to the envelope to up the price tag. Reproductions of WWII ink stamps are widely available, and are frequently applied to paper items by fakers.

What purpose would it serve to stamp an award envelope in such a way? Such awards were issued to both the Heer and to the Waffen-SS. There would be no need to make the distinction between the two prior to it being issued, or afterwards. Such a practice would be entirely extraneous.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Almost certainly a fake stamp added to the envelope to up the price tag. Reproductions of WWII ink stamps are widely available, and are frequently applied to paper items by fakers.

What purpose would it serve to stamp an award envelope in such a way? Such awards were issued to both the Heer and to the Waffen-SS. There would be no need to make the distinction between the two prior to it being issued, or afterwards. Such a practice would be entirely extraneous.

Regards, B.B.
    Much better stated than how I conveyed it. But my point exactly

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Also, it is important to understand that a circular stamp with the national eagle in the center and a unit-/agency designation around the border was and is always in the nature of an official seal.

Use of such a stamp is restricted to significant, official paperwork (award certificates, promotion documents, IDs, contracts etc.); they aren't just slammed on any old piece of paper.

Fakers, on the other hand, love to do just that.

?

Quote by helmetman54 View Post
    Does the stamp look OK? Period WW2?
    I am not sure why it would be on the envelope, but who knows...

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

That is the kind of thing that makes me mad. Take a perfectly good item, and ruin it to try to make a few dollars..... I assume the best thing is just to leave it alone. I do not know of anyway of removing a stamp..
    Thank you for the help

Quote by helmetman54 View Post
    That is the kind of thing that makes me mad. Take a perfectly good item, and ruin it to try to make a few dollars..... I assume the best thing is just to leave it alone. I do not know of anyway of removing a stamp..
    Thank you for the help
    Yes, there's no way you can really remove it without damaging the packet. Best to just leave it in place. If the stamp is on the rear of the packet, it will display just fine anyway.

B.B.

MAP
    ?

We are assuming the packet is original. There are some nice high quality fakes out there...believe it or not.