Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Period German Camera

Article about: Hi chaps, not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but here goes. At the moment I am in Cornwall for a few days on holiday and have just picked up this camera. All I can find on

Default Period German Camera

Hi chaps, not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but here goes. At the moment I am in Cornwall for a few days on holiday and have just picked up this camera. All I can find on the internet about it is that it was a war period camera used by the Germans. The camera is a Prontor 2 made by Gauthier GmbH Calmbach. Any info would be appreciated

- - Updated - -

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Period German Camera   Period German Camera  

Period German Camera   Period German Camera  

Period German Camera   Period German Camera  

Period German Camera  
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Period German Camera
    P
    Many

Default Re: Period German Camera

Very nice camera. Sorry I can't tell you more about it than you already know. Its in better condition than mine, but I bet yours wasn't dug up in the Carpathian Mountains! If I can piggyback your post and ask if anybody can identify mine as well, then that would be appreciated!

Regards

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Period German Camera   Period German Camera  

Martin that's great, at least it could be a period camera
    Ben

Ben: I'm not sure that is correctly described as a Gauthier camera. Rather I would say it's a camera made by another firm with a Gauthier shutter and Ludwig-Dresden lens. Gauthier introduced the Prontor II leaf shutter in 1935 and continued production, with improvements, throughout WWII. Gauthier shutters can be found on several different camera bodies made by several firms, among them Agfa and Welta. The lenses used in conjunction with the shutters were not always from the same lens maker. Below is another example of a Gauthier shutter with a different lens that was mounted on a folding bellows camera of the 1930's. The 3-limb star with the initials AGC identify the shutter as a Gauthier, as on yours. You might be able to identiy the camera body maker by looking inside the body. The type of camera you bought was very popular in the 1930's and 40's and many went to war with their soldier owners. That's a nice looking camera you bought. Dwight

Period German Camera

Hi Dwight

Many thanks mate, I dont know anything about camaras but saw this at a flea market and bought it, I will open her up and have and look inside . Thanks again for the info
    Ben

Is the makers logo embossed/stamped on the rear of the camera in the leatherette on the left next to the aperture settings chart? It appears that there's summat there, possibly 'Rollei' or 'Rolleiflex'??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big Ned; Yes, that is probably the maker's name. I can't make it out, but maybe Ben can, since he has the camera at hand. Good eyes Big Ned. It might also be stamped inside the case or on the inside of the film lid, and should include a serial number. Dwight

Guys, many thanks for your help on this, embossed faintly on the leather is Beirax I believe, looking this name up it seems that they did indeed make cameras so probably the maker of this one
    Ben

?

That's a beaut! Wonder if you can get it working again, that'd be a cool project!

Quote by doomtown View Post
    That's a beaut! Wonder if you can get it working again, that'd be a cool project!
    All I need is the film or whatever they used the camera works fine
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast