Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands

Article about: Here is a bi-lingual permit....German and English issued to John Touzel a Jersey resident during the German Occupation of the Island. He was allowed onto the dockside to carry out his work i

Default Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands

Here is a bi-lingual permit....German and English issued to John Touzel a Jersey resident during the German Occupation of the Island. He was allowed onto the dockside to carry out his work in the Harbour area. This particular permit was rescued by a lady who Aunty had asked her to burn a few things she wanted rid of. Luckily for me the lady saw the permit and knowing my interest in such things asked her Aunty if it would be ok to let me have it. This was only last year, so it shows that some people still have no idea of the history or interest that they are still happy to destroy. This is one of the cleanest permits in my archive. Normally most paperwork from men seems somewhat tired and dog eared, unlike women who kept I/D cards etc in handbags men just kept such things in a wallet or similar where they became creased, ripped and worn, so to find one like this was really nice especially for free.
    All the best,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands   Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands
    P
    Many

Default Re: Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands

Hard to beleive people would still be prepared throw items like this away. Glad it has now gone to a good home.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Permit to enter the Harbour area in St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands

People in the main just don't think, I have heard of many an item being dumped, burn't etc and then the people let you know after the event. Well my museum has been open for just over 22 years.... surely they would come and ask if an item is of interest?. In those 22 years I think I have had about 5 items brought down to the museum. I keep trying to save the stuff but others just want rid.
    D.

I that find that realy shocking! I thought that today many people are cute enough to know that these things do have a value.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Lot of people here still have a major problem with the german as you may be able to imagine, others have just moved on as you do. There is also a lot of people who just want to erase the whole thing from history and they are the worst... it happened, we can't change that but don't destroy the evidence. There is also the local trian of thought that if its worth £100 today then tomorrow its worth £110 but inbetween time the shed roof collapses and the item is damaged beyond salvage. The worst are those who have something interesting that you'd like and have no interest in it all themselves but just because a collector is after it they won't part with it for anything. Then you have the people who have the Holy Grail and give you the item and are not interested in payment. Luckily for me I have had a few of those in my time... 2 enigma machines comes to mind.
    D.

That is a Really nice example of an English-German bi-lingual Ausweis.

Good save. Even these 'little' items are an important part of history.

You could put a monthly two-line ad in a larger newspaper asking
    for items. - I don't like to think about how much militaria has
    simply been tossed out over the years.........!
    Regards,

Steve.