Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer

Article about: Hey guys, I just recently picked up this lot for 60\\$. It's a very nice grouping of a young SS Panzer Grenadier who was killed in Northern France. Hope you guys enjoy! Thanks Ryan

?

Default Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer

Hey guys, I just recently picked up this lot for 60$. It's a very nice grouping of a young SS Panzer Grenadier who was killed in Northern France. Hope you guys enjoy!
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer   Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer  

Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer   Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer
    P
    Many

?

Ryan he was killed south of Metz which became a fortress City on the German Western border , the Germans defended it against units of Pattons Third Army !!

So young - only 18.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks! From the research that i've done it looks like he was apart of the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division Götz von Berlichingen. They were incharge of the defense of the metz area and pulled out on the 15th of November.
    Thanks
    Ryan

- - ------- - -

It truly is a shame... Its so sad to think about that he was only a year older then me when he died... I just cant wrap my head around that.
    Ryan

Hi Ryan, that's a very nice little grouping. I think you did very well on the price as well. Leon.

?

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking aswell, as death card and pictures are really all over the place with prices, but being a group should knock it up a bit.
    Ryan

?

Nice Ryan! I agree, you did well on the price. GvB's time in France is interesting to study, to say the least. I just got finished studying the unit for a Death Card I acquired as well. On November 8th, 1944....the USAAF bombed various elements of Gotz Von Berlichingen around Metz. Gotz v.B. would have been a part of XIII. SS-Korps. at that time. Hitler pulled them out of Metz on the 16th, to the Maginot Line, Falquemont.

Anyway, Here is a neat "combat report" translated in English, and is a recollection from a Staff Officer of GvB, who tells his story from Normandy to November 1st, somewhat close to the time of your mans death, if interested.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer   Photo and Death Card grouping of SS-P.Gren Johann Schäffer  

?

Thanks you so much Bill! That is so interesting! When was your man K.I.A? On the deathcard.
    Thanks Again
    Ryan

?

No prob. You are lucky to have the photos along with yours. My DC is a Grenadier who was only 18 as well. Died July 7 south of Carentan. (posted on the "Share your DC" thread if interested).

P.S.- here is the Volksbund data for yours: (buried at Andilly Cemetery)
    Detailansicht[gid]=a2592812bd7359a4065015d5e9ad7922

?

Poor Kid, its so sad that these kids are so young.... Thank you so much Bill! That is such a helpful website! I might have to stop by during our trip to Europe next year. As we will be in the area, pay my respects, and take a pic with his photo.
    Ryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast