Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is this a photo of the reformed 14th Waffen SS Division, 1st Ukrainian Galician Division

Article about: Hello Everyone, I was wondering if you guys could help me identify what military unit this soldier belonged with in the picture. It is definitely of a Ukrainian but the uniform is part Briti

Thanks for the responses!

One other piece of information that my Grandfather said was that the Russians came to the camp he was being held at (DP camp he made it sound like) trying to repatriate them (Ukrainians) back to the Soviet Union. Thankfully at the time, he was in the care of American Army. American officers told the Russians to turn their trucks around and get out of the camp.

It is hard to see, the hat has the Ukrainian trident symbol on it.

He also had mentioned being in Dresden (hopefully I am remembering correctly), Germany early in the war.

My Uncle who has a military background in the USMC, Force Recon... always assumed my Grandfather having a military background but he could not confirm for certain if he did (based on conversations of a military nature).

I have done research from released archival information from National Archives in UK, which bolsters the probability of Ukrainians being moved throughout the globe from the 14th SS Division by the British government.

Thanks again for the help. I am hoping I can pull this mystery to some type of conclusion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Back in the 1980's I used to work with two former members of the Division. At the time, I chatted with them about the war and how they came to be here in the UK. They told me at certain amount , but they clammed up after I drew their unit insignia on a notepad! They were still frightened about the prospect of going home to the USSR. The Cold War was still at it's hight.

The Germans had an on / off relationship with the Ukrainian Nationalists. At times for and at other times almost against. The political and military situation at the time dictated the attitude. Basically they blew it....The Ukrainians being stuck between two super powers were never going to get the independence they craved. Neither Hitler or Stalin wanted an independent Ukraine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade! Ukrainian history from the 20th century is very complex, it is definitely not black and white (a lot of grey areas).

My Grandfather was similar with "clamming up," only tell stories in little fragments (whereas my Grandmother who was on a German forced labor camp (my Grandparents didn't meet until the 50's in Brazil) would tell me everything about what happen during the war, every detail she could remember). Years ago I had a few different illustrated books on the Eastern Front, my Grandfather always asked to borrow them. Pages always book marked when I got them back. Haha!

He always read his "Svoboda" newspaper. He would give me a few if he got ones in English.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12