Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible Issue with Albums for Sale

Article about: I noticed these two albums, both for sale on different sites. I have dealt with both sellers in the past and have had positive outcomes. I therefore make no accusations of any kind, I just w

?

Default Possible Issue with Albums for Sale

I noticed these two albums, both for sale on different sites. I have dealt with both sellers in the past and have had positive outcomes. I therefore make no accusations of any kind, I just want to bring this to the attention of our members:
    Possible Issue with Albums for SalePossible Issue with Albums for Sale
    Note the photo of the vehicle in the lower right corner of the collage, they appear to be the same photo.

Also this one:Possible Issue with Albums for Sale

My question that I pose to the photo collector is how does one go about determining the authenticity of one of these albums that are often seen for sale?

Regards,

CMH

Post scriptum: The album that has recently appeared, offered along with a pair of collar tabs with waffenfarbe, has been presently placed on hold.
    Last edited by DrCMH; 03-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible Issue with Albums for Sale
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Possible Issue with Albums for Sale

Firstly asking the seller for clearer individual photos would help so they can be assessed for originality as with any other photo and look for provenance as with any other item , i'm sure re the album offered by Martin at Hannahs Reich that would have been an option that wouldn't have been a problem , the other dealer i don't know who it is so can't comment.

Are you saying the bottom two photos feature in both albums !!

The album with the Waffenarbe tabs has been sold to a member here !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi Paul,

The close-up photos are from Martin's site, the collage can be found on Bruce's site. I noticed two photos that appear to be from the same perspective and was curious about it. Both sellers are trustworthy and have a good sense of what they offer so is it possible that the two different albums with the same photos are related some how? Perhaps from the same individual or another member of the same unit?

CMH

?

Ah right i see what you mean , it's possible that two seperate albums from the same unit from the same time period could include the same or similar photos but then for them to appear for sale at the same time is a coincidence that is certainly worthy of further examination of the photos for originality !!

A good spot by your good self !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Thanks Paul,

You may want to pass the info on to the member who purchased the album from Martin. It is possible, but rather unlikely, that both albums contain the same photos. How could one go about determining the authenticity of photos? Under magnification? Would there be something about the paper used for the photo? I collect uniforms mainly and I think photos would be an even greater challenge.

Best regards,

CMH

?

Photos do indeed present their own problems with regard to authenticty as do all aspects of the hobby as they are now quite heavily faked due to increase in price , especially SS ones , together with personalities , Panzer etc !!

As with other items close ups of the photos both front and reverse are required so the tone, paper , markings etc can be examined and blacklight tested in hand if necessary , i will certainly pass on this info to the member concerned so the photos can be examined in closer detail !!

regards

Paul

1st July 1916

In my experience of collecting photographs for two decades and more it is actually not that unusual to find the same photograph appearing in a number of different albums or collections...prints were often shared by comrades in the same unit and between friends. Just as we often send copies of photos out to all of our friends today. But as mentioned elsewhere caution is required as photos like everything else of value are faked extensively especially those subjects most favoured by collectors.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    In my experience of collecting photographs for two decades and more it is actually not that unusual to find the same photograph appearing in a number of different albums or collections...prints were often shared by comrades in the same unit and between friends. Just as we often send copies of photos out to all of our friends today. But as mentioned elsewhere caution is required as photos like everything else of value are faked extensively especially those subjects most favoured by collectors.
    I agree,i have had albums in the past where the very same photogragh has been in the same album twice(that's also not that uncommon)! Most of us in the past have had more than one copy of a print made to hand around to friends and family.From my dealings with Martin,i feel that if something was felt to be un-true it would not be on his site full stop,but we can all make mistakes.I would be comfortable with these albums being fine. That said,you have a good eye for detail DrCMH!!! Leon.

I wonder how much visual history of today's military campaigns will be lost over time as almost all of it is recorded digitally on mobile phones etc and is never printed in more permanent hard copy?

If the images are stored offline on PCs these are often discarded after a couple of years for new models, memory sticks and cards get overwritten and corrupted, online storage ceases when hosting subscriptions go unpaid...will images posted on facebook, twitter, pinterest etc still be around in 100 or more years time like some photographic prints of earlier war campaigns have?

Will a digital image of Desert Storm or some 21st century conflict ever be a valuable commodity when digital is even more simple to replicate?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I agree,i have had albums in the past where the very same photogragh has been in the same album twice(that's also not that uncommon)! Most of us in the past have had more than one copy of a print made to hand around to friends and family.From my dealings with Martin,i feel that if something was felt to be un-true it would not be on his site full stop,but we can all make mistakes.I would be comfortable with these albums being fine. That said,you have a good eye for detail DrCMH!!! Leon.
    I agree Leon the integrity of both dealers is not in question both Martin and Bruce are straight up guys but i suppose not everyone can know everyhting so it's always worth checking on originality at least as part of the individuals learning process !!

1st July 1916

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast