Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Default Re: Post your death notices

Quote by Evgeni M View Post
    He fought at Cassino and was KIA in 1944 - so this is a typo.
    So it is. I only just noticed something in the original post: The picture is blurred, but it looks to me as if the correct year (1944) actually appears on the other side of the card on the illustration of a grave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

?

Youre right Andreas! It sure does seem to say it on the grave

Astonishing! To think of the 2 hours I wasted trying to find any German units deployed to Italy in Feb. 43 when the evidence was right in my hands to say otherwise. Goes to show you not everything is what it appears at first glance, more pairs of eyes are better than one pair, and attention to detail is paramount in this field. Great work all who contributed on this one. Thanks to OB for starting the ball rolling with the initial invasion/death question,Evgeni for the info on him (would love to read the translation on that info),Andreas for the keen eye, and Bill you called it with the seeing the type-o's before comment. I was hesitant to believe a type-o on a deathcard, but there it is. Kind of insulting to get wrong on one's deathcard I think. I wonder how common this is and if it would effect value at all, not being greedy just curious. Anyone have any idea how many cards might be made for an individual? I'm sure it varies greatly but rough idea? Here's clearer pics. Good work guys and thanks it added a new interesting twist on a piece I've had for years now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

I have one of a 6. SS soldat earlier in this thread that had the name of the Karelian town where he was killed misspelled right on the card. It's hard to research these things when they are typos on them. You'd think that the people in charge of writing them would be more careful.

Maybe there were just so many being printed out by so few companies that they didn't have the time to spell-check.

Quote by Rigormortis View Post
    Anyone have any idea how many cards might be made for an individual? I'm sure it varies greatly but rough idea?
    It's impossible to generalize or give an average number.

Death cards were (and are) ordered by the deceased's family who also decide on the number of cards required. The cards are handed out during the funeral and given or sent to people who sent or expressed their condolences or simply knew the deceased.

So the numbers vary greatly, from a few dozen for a poor nobody with few friends and relatives to many hundred for a local VIP.

Interesting. Now I know to look at death cards a little more keenly. Not that it changes value any as I don't think anyone probably acquires these for monetary value, but adds a an interesting twist to these type pieces now that I see it can occur on some.

Actually death cards, imo, are one of the most interesting items to collect. They educate you about the battles and places where they took place, give you some feel of casualty statistics and learns you to appreciate the human tragedy that evolved during the war.

Quote by Rigormortis View Post
    Interesting. Now I know to look at death cards a little more keenly. Not that it changes value any as I don't think anyone probably acquires these for monetary value, but adds a an interesting twist to these type pieces now that I see it can occur on some.

Most definitely. Hits a personal note when I read the individuals death card eulogy and family's goodbyes and prayers vs. statistical casualty numbers on a bigger scale. Sometimes I overlook the personal tragedies and get caught up in the battles and death cards are always a reminder that there's a personal story and tragedy behind each casualty..
    Quote by Evgeni M View Post
    Actually death cards, imo, are one of the most interesting items to collect. They educate you about the battles and places where they took place, give you some feel of casualty statistics and learns you to appreciate the human tragedy that evolved during the war.

I just got this one in a grouping of photos. Pardon the image quality.

Post your death noticesPost your death notices

The person is burried in Sebesh (Себеж): http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/97...ery-Sebesh.htm
    KIA neal lake Lobno (60 km north-east of Sebesh)

Heinrich Vatter konnte im Rahmen unserer Umbettungsarbeiten nicht geborgen werden. Die vorgesehene Überführung zum Sammelfriedhof in Sebesh war somit leider nicht möglich. Sein Name wird im Gedenkbuch des Friedhofes verzeichnet..
    Nähere Informationen zu diesem Friedhof erhalten sie hier.
    Name und die persönlichen Daten des Obengenannten sind auch im Gedenkbuch der Kriegsgräberstätte verzeichnet. Sie können gern einen Auszug bei uns bestellen.
    Bitte beachten Sie, dass auf einigen Friedhöfen nicht die aktuelle Version ausliegt, somit kann der Name Ihres Angehörigen darin evtl. noch nicht verzeichnet sein.
    Nachname:Vatter
    Vorname:Heinrich
    Dienstgrad:Gefreiter
    Geburtsdatum:17.07.1911
    Geburtsort:Oberursel
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:03.07.1943
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: ostw. Lobno

Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast